38. To the Last Breath! (Sai)

The enormous hall is completely silent. Only the crackling of the fire in the wrought iron torches, mounted on the black, marble walls can be heard. A thousand pairs of eyes are pinned on us. The diverse sea of people of all ages, ethnicities and beliefs is motionless. Some are sitting on the chaise lounges, the thick furs and numerous cushions, scattered everywhere. Others are standing, impatiently waiting to hear what we have to say. I and Dey are at the huge table, twenty feet long and fifteen wide, which is crafted as a detailed relief map of the entire Continent. 

   Everything is before us, the picturesque sea shore and the high mountains of Eleysan. We can see the deepest, inaccessible gorge, hidden among the thick forests and the sharp ridges of the peaks. A narrow stone bridge leads over the abyss to the steep cliff of The Portal. Green valleys and broad, fertile planes stretch all the way to the Endless Desert. The God's Eye is glimmering in the purest blue at its end. The ochre chain of the Great Border Rock Wall separates it from the grass land. I smile at the sight of the tiny copy of Queen Jendayi's palace and the lake where I felt the warm breath of love on my skin for the first time. The ancient forest follows with the waterfalls and the Lost Caves, hidden deep in its heart. The Capital with the Royal Palace in the middle, spreads along the rocky south coast. It's our world, our home, our life, something worth fighting for to the last breath. 

   "Honorable rulers, wise ambassadors, brave warriors, humble servants of God..." Dey's voice booms like thunder in a cloudless sky over the assembly. He pauses as his gaze circles, stopping at each face. He finally adds quietly, "... my friends! We are all here because of the dreadful news. The world as we know it is coming to its end. Whatever happens, it will never be the same. Our faithful keepers did their best to save us from the doom for thousands of years. Our sublime prophets helped us foresee the dangers and defeat them. They are here, by our side, on this very day as always, but this time we can't rely only on their powers. We need to fight ourselves."

   "We are ready!" someone shouts. "Lead and we'll follow! The wild cheetahs have no fear. We're fast and deadly."

   "No monster can defeat the mountaineers!" another shout follows. "We grow up side by side with the death bats and drink from the same pure brooks. Even they are not as tough as we are."

   "I pledge allegiance to the Supreme Commanders," prinx Mostal raises a fist in the air. "To the last breath!"

   "To the last breath!" count Tarsarian and lord Malderyn shout, followed by the other members of Eleysan's Council.

   King Dorth and King Unufrail raise from their seats. Their fists fly up simultaneously and so do mine and Dey's. Each and everyone present does the same in few seconds. 

   "To the last breath!" The walls tremble by the deafening rallying cry.

   "Thank you, my friends!" Dey continues when the crowd finally calms down. "This will be the hardest battle of all. Only rough power can't stop our enemy. Neither can the most sophisticated weapons. We have to be fearless, resourceful, even cunning. We won't engage in open confrontation. It would be our demise. We need to outsmart the monsters. We are going to build a trap, a deadly pitfall which they will not be able to pass through to reach us."

   "The traps are for cowards," the black-bearded, bulky bear standing next to Dey's father yells, pointing his finger at my prince . "When did you start avoiding battles, commander Sand Snake? The luxurious baths and the girly perfumes made you forget who you were too quickly. Did your poison turn into sweet honey?"

   I see Dey reaching for his dagger, but before he can take it out, King Dorth grabs the insolent lord by the throat and growls, "Bardal, watch your damn mouth! As much as I like your impudence, I will not hesitate to rip out your tongue if I hear you speak disrespectfully to one of the High Protectors once again. You better learn where to draw the line."