t e n

"Hello, Drew!" Josh called, waving to him as he ran up, looking about ready to tip straight over from the weight of the backpack that seemed to be eight sizes too big for his body. "Did you study for the science test? I only studied for two hours last night, so I'm rather nervous."

Drew looked at him in horror. "Are you joking? It's only my friggin' first day back and there's a test? Excuse me, I think I'm needed at the hospital."

Josh fumbled in the pockets of his blue skinny jeans and pulled out a set of notecards held together by an orange rubberband. "You can borrow my notecards. I covered all the topics the teacher said would be on the test, I think."

Drew sighed, reaching out for the cards, "You're a life saver, Josh. It's nice to have at least one friend who cares about their grades." He flipped through the cards, skimming the terms. Most of them were familiar, and those he didn't know he could have Josh explain.

He glanced up, "Did I tell you the story about Aaron's fourth-grade project? The one with the roaches and the volcano?"

"Indeed; I would enjoy hearing it again, though. May I walk with you to lunch?" He adjusted the backpack, tipping precariously before Drew grabbed his elbow and steadied him. "Ah, thank you."

"No problem; ever considered a rolling backpack? Your bones are going to crack under that behemoth of a backpack, I swear. I have a friend who actually threw out his back from carrying around one of those. I'd hate to have two."

"Oh, I'm fine. It's not really that heavy," Josh said cheerfully.

Drew raised an eyebrow, internally grateful he could do that now without pain. Being without his sarcastic eyebrow raise was the same as being without a part of his soul for three weeks. "Uh, sure. I'll get the 'Get well soon and I told you so' card ready."

Josh smiled good-naturedly. "You do that, Drew. Now, are you going to tell me that story?"

"Right, yeah. So, Aaron was a real dork in fourth grade, and he decided at the last minute, that having roaches shooting out of a volcano would be a great way of showing how lava worked..."

They walked to lunch together, Drew telling him the story of Aaron's disastrous project which ended in three injuries, a visit from the pest exterminator, and a stern talking to from the principal involving how roaches were NOT appropriate for school, especially in the hands of fourth grader Aaron.

He tried to ignore the stares he got.

It's just a scar! Why is everyone so interested is something that doesn't concern them?

They joined Aaron and Blake at a table, along with a handful of other poor saps who had completely forgotten about the test and were trying to get in a few minutes of studying.

Drew's phone buzzed, and he instantly recognized the ring tone he had given a particularly irritating new friend of his. He groaned but pulled it out anyways.

From: The Dick Wad

Guess what?

To: The Dick Wad

What? I'm studying! Bother me later.

From: The Dick Wad

I can see you~ your nose is really cute when it's scrunched up like that.

To: The Dick Wad

Tell me who you are!

From: The Dick Wad

But that would ruin the mystery!

To: The Dick Wad

Bye Felicia 👋