Chap. 39

"Time for the Superlatives to be revealed," Kylie squealed.

"You're way too excited," I said, laughing as we headed to our lockers.

"So did you hear that yearbooks are to be released today?" Bryce asked, sidling up next to me.

"Who didn't?" I asked, as I exchanged my books.

"If we didn't get Golden Couple, I'll sue."

I rolled my eyes.

"Just kidding, I actually hope we didn't."

I turned to face him, raising an eyebrow.

"I want to lose it this year," he explained. "And then win it back next year, like in a triumphant way. Like ha bitches, take that."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't understand you."

He slung his arm around my shoulders, steering me towards my Homeroom. "That's the beauty of it. You don't have to."

Sometimes I question why I bother with him in the first place.

"What Superlative would you want then?" I asked, leaning against the hallway wall.

"None," he said, with a shake of his head. "I want to come back my Senior year and sweep the floor with them."

"If you say so."

"I do."

I reached up and gave him a quick kiss, earning a warning from my Homeroom teacher, before slipping into my classroom.

Once everyone was seated, and the tardy bell had rung, my teacher began passing out yearbooks.

Immediately people began to flip to the Superlative page, seeing who won what.

Mine was one of the first ones handed out. Perks of having the last name Allen.

But I didn't immediately flip to the Superlative page. I first found my school picture, which is just as awful as I remember it to be. Then I found Bryce's school picture, which is just as adorable as I remember it to be.

I wasn't in A-Team's group picture, seeing as though I'd joined so late, but Bryce was in the baseball team's Yearbook photo. And his butt looked nice in those pants.

"I knew you guys would win," the girl next to me said.

Thanks for the spoiler.

I flipped to the Superlative section, and under The Golden Couple were the names Sophie Allen and Bryce Harrison.

In the picture, I was wearing the jersey Bryce had given me to wear to his baseball games. It had his number on it and read Bryce's Girl across the back. Bryce was wearing his baseball uniform.

I had my arms resting on the edge of the baseball fence, a smile on my face and my eyes trained on Bryce. He was in mid-sentence, using his hands to explain whatever it was he was talking about.

This picture was taken pre-brain alien. Pre-cancer. Pre-everything else that had interrupted our lives. This picture had captured the innocence that was our relationship.

"You guys are honestly relationship goals," the girl next to me continued.

I didn't even know her name. But she clearly knew me. And my boyfriend. Which made me a little uncomfortable.

"You guys are always so cute together," she continued. "The way he always walks you to class and the way you come to all of his baseball games. I swear all the good ones are taken."

"I don't think all the good ones are taken," I declined, as I continued to stare at the picture. "I think there's good in every boy and girl out there. But it takes the perfect match to bring out the best in each one of them. And I found mine."