06 | first night

I step into the lobby and find the security guarding the door nods briefly at me, greeting me with a smile

I step into the lobby and find the security guarding the door nods briefly at me, greeting me with a smile. I return his smile as a polite gesture even though uneasiness stirs inside me from the way he gazes at me. The look he throws me makes me shudder, and his eyes roam my features longer than they should.

Even after I resume walking to the elevator, I can still feel his stare lingering on me.

I'd noticed that he'd been watching me since the very first time I stepped into this apartment with my parents when we were looking for a place for me to stay. He'd stolen glances at me while my parents weren't looking, but I'd thought that it was normal because I was new.

However, now that Dad and Mom are gone, the gaze he shoots me feels even more uncomfortable.

I press the button next to the elevator and shake my head in denial. Geez. Look at what I'm doing. I'm becoming paranoid like Dad. My parents have just left me for a few minutes, and I'm already worrying about a security guard. I'm sure that this is just an unreasonable restlessness because there's no doubt that this apartment has the best security in place -- Dad wouldn't have chosen it if it hadn't.

I should be worrying about my new semester in college, not about a normal security guard trying to keep an eye on a new occupant of this apartment.

"Are you really planning to follow all your dad's rules?" Sienna's voice echoes in my ear as I lean back against the headboard of my bed while talking to her on the phone

I'm already wearing my favorite pink pajamas, ready to sleep in my new room. Hearing Sienna chatter before bed is one of our rituals. I chuckle as she lets out a long frustrated sigh from the other side of the line.

I shrug. "It's not like I have any choice. I don't want Dad to drag me back to Texas if I break one of my promises. I don't think I can lie to him either."

Sienna grunts. "I know, but what about the boys rules?" she asks in disbelief. "I mean, this is your chance to meet new guys. What if there's this hot, smart, perfect guy in your new campus in Seattle that you can't resist? What if this prince charming wants to date you?"