Chapter Twelve

I was standing outside of the convention center, anxiously tapping my fingers along the sides of my jeans

I was standing outside of the convention center, anxiously tapping my fingers along the sides of my jeans. I had no idea what was going on inside this place tonight, but I knew that Sky had instructed me to dress casual, since he didn't want me to "ruin any of my good clothes."

And even though I'd been insulted by his insinuation that I owned anything besides good clothes, I still happily obliged, showing up to our first date in a Waterboys band t-shirt and some jeans I'd found in the back of my closet.

Our first date.

I'd been shocked when I'd gotten the call. By that point, I'd already been telling myself that Sky and I were just going to be a hook-up that was already a few minutes away from fizzling out.

Because it didn't matter if I found myself liking him more with each passing day.

Eventually, he was going to revert to being straight. And I was going to be left in the dust.

But I'd been pleasantly surprised when Sky proved me wrong. At first, I'd wondered if it was a prank call, with the way he sounded so strange on the phone. But then I realized that he was just nervous.

He was nervous when it came to asking me out, the kind of nervous that seemed like he would've been hurt if I'd said no.

And that was the main reason I'd said yes. Sky's nerves made me feel like whatever we had between us may have actually meant something to him, like he didn't just see me as an opportunity to get his guy-curiosity out of his system.

I smiled to myself, feeling my phone ringing in my pocket.

I already knew that it was him.

I answered without bothering to check the caller ID. "Sky? Are you already inside?"

"No, I'm just walking up to the building now. Are you already inside?"

"Nope. I'm waiting for you outside," I continued. "What's going on here tonight, anyway? Is there a concert or something?"

"I'm not going to tell you. Not when we're so close to the finish line," he answered, letting out a laugh. "And don't ask anybody else what's going on inside, either! That'd be cheating."

"Sky, I have to know what's going on. What if I'm dressed wrong?"

"Are you wearing something casual?"

"Yes, even though I really dislike that word..." I narrowed my eyes. "What are you wearing?"

"Oh. I'm wearing a tuxedo."

"What?" I almost dropped my phone at the revelation. "Sky, are you serious? Are you seriously wearing a tuxedo?"

"Yeah, I seriously am," he replied, now standing right in front of me. He was grinning at me, and he gave me a short, approving nod. "And you look gorgeous, as always."