Chapter 25: The Proposal

"Time is too slow for those who wait. Too swift for those who fear. Too long for those who grieve. Too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity." — Henry Van Dyke

( Partially Edited )

Stavros POV

I was back in New York, and the longing dug deeper into my chest, residing in it.

I reminded myself that soon, we would never be apart.

I remember the ring. I kept it locked in my bottom drawer.

I bent down and unlocked the drawer and pulled out the small red velvety Cartier box where the 8-carat diamond ring was. I thought I would never have the chance to give this to her.

I lifted the ring to eye level and stared at it. A smile tore at my lips unconsciously. I was hoping she'll like it.

If choosing a ring is challenging, concocting a proposal plan is a struggle at its best. It felt like no unique ideas were left for a poor man like me. Those at the forefront of the proposal race had taken all the best ideas. Sometimes, a design pops into my head, but it always feels flat.

A soft rap on the door seeped through my racing thoughts. I shut the box and stuffed it in my coat breast pocket.

"Come in."

Andrea sashayed in with hefty folders in her hands.

"Contracts that needed your signature, Sir," she muttered, her red painted lips tentatively split into a wary smile as she bent a slightly and laid the papers on my table.

"Thank you, Andrea," I said as I gave her a small smile.

She snapped her eyes at me, looking like I'd just grown three heads. An eyebrow cocked up, and she hastily gathered herself.

She quickly gave me her warm smile as she walked around and out of my office.

I was grinning like a fool, and I couldn't help it. So this is what true happiness felt like—unconsciously smiling for no reason. There was peace, contentment with simple things, and ease to please.

I shook my head, the corner of my lips stretched wide as I focused on the work piled in front of me.

It took a while before Alessandra's face faded over the letterings on the papers and then temporarily immersed in the work.

When I stretched my body and my long legs underneath the table, I realized I had finally done more than I thought I could do today, knowing Alessandra had been in my head.

My eyes are tired, and I involuntary rubbed them with my forefinger gently, trying to rub the tire away.

Most of the contracts needed revision as I made a lot of connotations, especially the agreement made between the Fushikama Trading.

They are hiring our ship under a two-year time charter party and should sail from Liverpool to collect a cargo at Newport News, Virginia, and then proceed via Panama to Osaka.

I wouldn't say I like his terms. It is indeed a big company, and it's likely a great potential to grow in Japan. However, with the man's reputation, I'm not letting him lure my company in for him to pounce when I turn my back for a second.

There's no doubt he's impressive in running the business, but not so much in dealing with his partners.

The reason I've been meticulously absorbing every detail, comprehending, and finding tactics to thwart his demands.