Chapter 1

THREE YEARS LATER

THREE YEARS LATER

We became a band.

It went gradually. In my first year of college, we sometimes came together in Nick's basement where we'd play some songs and try out some tunes.

They all voted for me as the lead singer since they agreed my voice was the best one - to which I objected to, but they wouldn't listen.

The first year, all I mostly did was observe.

I watched YouTube videos online on how to better my voice and exercised a lot since I didn't want to stand there full of shame whenever I sang.

And I also went to a lot of gigs. Where Dopamine would play. And I knew I'd have to take notes on the lead singer, but my eyes often wandered to the drummer.

Ares.

And the way his muscles bulged when he'd play or the sweat would drip off his body. His hair flew around when he went crazy and every time, a lazy smirk would glide on his face as if knowing what kind of effect he had on people.

And the girls drooling over him at the front.

And the way he'd sing along with the song, and his voice would captivate me.

Embarrassingly enough, I kept track of the band and how they'd make it as one. They sometimes appeared in the paper and then even signed a contract.

They were in for the long shot and quickly gained popularity.

At the end of my first year in college, Caleb decided he wanted to post a song of ours online. We had been playing around with some lyrics and tunes until an actual song was formed and we all liked it.

"Okay but under what name?" I asked him. He shrugged. "You choose, Ella."

"Something short, but a name that stays. Something unique," Nick voiced. I looked at Violet.

"You're okay with this?"

She nodded. "I know it's just for fun and no one's actually going to listen to it," she chuckled. I let out a sigh, trying to come up with a name.

My mind went to blue eyes.

"Icarus."

"Icarus? Who the fuck is that?" Caleb questioned. "Oh my god, Caleb, you're so dumb sometimes," I sighed and shook my head.

"It's a myth. Mom told me enough stories about him and I like the name. Don't think too much about it."

"What's the myth about?"

"Nothing important."

He'd just shrugged and went along with it, using the name Icarus for the band. It felt good. Like something fun to do on a Saturday night.