Twenty seven

"You're back," Maya greeted Mallie as she walked into the station an hour later.

"I'm back," Mallie smiled, taking her mask off and wiping her sweaty forehead.

"How far did you get?" Maya asked.

"Ten k," Mallie said.

"That's my girl," Maya laughed. "How have the twins been?" she asked.

"They're not enjoying tummy time, but they're growing up so fast. It's terrifying and so exciting at the same time. How's living with Carina going? And Andy, now, right?" Mallie said.

"Yeah. It's good. She's turning the kitchen into a pasta and cheese shop," Maya said.

"And you're freaking out because it's so normal and domestic and lovely, and you never had that before," Mallie smiled knowingly.

"I was so glad you were coming back so I could talk to you about it. You're like me. How did you cope with Amelia?" Maya asked.

"Well," Mallie said, leading Maya upstairs so they could get ready, "It was hard, at first. Especially when we were both at home while Mer and Maggie were working. They started sleeping at the hospital or in their cars, so we set up tents in the garden for them to stay in, instead. They didn't want to bring it into the house but they said they were fine with me going back to work because they've put regular testing into place for us, now," Mallie said.

"But, uh, the domestic shit?" Maya asked.

"Oh, right," Mallie nodded. "I was making breakfast and getting the kids logged onto their school work and bathing them at night and it was all kind of exhausting at first, but then I got into the routine and it was like second nature. And, yeah, I felt so weird doing it, but then I started loving it. People are dying and they're not with their loved ones, but I get to be with mine and I get to watch five amazing kids growing up. And you don't have the kid part, but it's amazing to be able to do it with the woman I love," Mallie said.

"Well, when you put it like that, it sounds amazing. But how do you stop feeling so sick inside?" Maya said.

"You focus on the love. And you talk to her. Tell her the truth and she'll tell you what's going on in her head, and you go from there," Mallie said.

"You're so wise, now," Maya said.

"I know," Mallie chuckled.

"I, uh, wanted to apologise, by the way, for our fight. We never really sorted it out," Maya said.

"Maya, we're family. That's the beauty of it. We don't have to apologise. We just move on. And, for what it's worth, you're a great captain. Sorry I was being a bitch and refused to see it," Mallie said.

Maya smiled.

"If I could hug you, I would," she said.

"Yeah, but I wouldn't. I'm all sweaty and disgusting. Okay, I'm gonna go shower," Mallie said.

"Okay," Maya smiled.

"Mallie, phone!" Maya yelled upstairs twenty minutes later. "Hurry!" she added.

Mallie jogged downstairs and took the phone.

"Hello?" she said quickly.

"Mallie? It's Bailey."

"Bailey? What's wrong? What happened?"

"I need you to do me a favour and come to the hospital right now. Wear full PPE and do not tell Shepherd where you're going," Bailey said.