Chapter 2: Alan

I stifled my coughs, not wanting to worry Violet. I had no idea if I was sick or not, but I wasn't going to worry Violet about it. She had enough to worry about anyway, and it could be nothing.

I looked over at Violet. She was still sleeping soundly, curled up under her blanket on her makeshift bed. Truth was, I couldn't sleep last night. I tried, but I couldn't. My sleep was haunted by terrible dreams about Violet being taken away. Freddy leaving us forever. I stretched, wanting to rid myself of those thoughts. Standing up, I could see that the morning rose a while ago, casting a glowing light over the hideout. Glorious would not be the right word...but for now I felt content.

I would usually go for a walk by myself in the morning, while Violet slept. However, today I sat next to her. She slept surprisingly well after getting one of those headaches. It could be her mind slowly healing from the trauma.

I pulled out my sketchbook. I found it on the floor of a trash station, with a pencil tucked in its pages. Since then, I've experimented with various drawing techniques. I wouldn't call myself a talented artist, but when I was younger, my father taught me how to draw. He used to love to draw. I didn't really know how to draw a lot of things, but I did have a knack for drawing Violet. Maybe it was because I knew her so well. The way her reddish-blonde locks fell in front of her face and the smile on her face as she twirled around in a skirt. Today, I drew her in a garden. She was wearing a flowing dress, surrounded by sunflowers. The sun turned her skin a beautiful golden shade. It brought back memories of my old home. Before the war. Before I lost everything.

The reminder of it made my face turn to stone. I lost everything. If not for the Government, I would still have my parents. I would still have my old home. I stood up abruptly, knocking my notebook to the floor. I heard a noise behind me and I whipped around, ready to take out anyone who was about to take my sister away. But all I saw were Violet's wide eyes. "What are you doing?" she whispered. Then her eyes caught the drawing that I did and a smile spread across her face. "Wow. That's incredible."

I analysed her expression carefully. She was pleased with the drawing. But did she remember our old garden? She didn't seem to. I smiled back at her and held her hand. She tugged at her purple necklace, fingering the black cord. She looked up at me self-consciously. "Am I really that pretty?" she asked me.

The question surprised me and for a moment I was speechless. "Yes, of course, Violet. I've always thought that you were very pretty."

Violet didn't seem very convinced. "Really, Alan? In your drawing, I look pretty but am I really? I don't think I am." She looked down at the floor anxiously.

I turned around to face her. "Violet, I'm not lying. You are absolutely gorgeous. You know, sometimes I feel a bit jealous that you got our mother's looks." This brought a smile to her face and her anxiety faded. I noticed a hint of sadness, but Violet hid it quickly. I nudged her playfully. "I've been rather jealous. I obviously don't look as good as you."

Violet yelped as she bumped into the table. "Hey!" She jumped on me and we rolled on the floor, laughing.

Sometimes, I would imagine us as best friends, rather than siblings. We've got a bond deeper than normal siblings. I knew her and she knew me. We've been together all our lives. I couldn't imagine living without her.

"Alan? I have something to ask you."

I looked at her, sensing that it was important. "What is it?"

She looked down. "There's been a lot of noise in my head recently. There's this...buzz that keeps annoying me. I don't get it during the night but it comes back during the day."

I bet that it was caused by her memory flashback headaches. I told her so and she shook her head. "No. It just started a few days ago and it's not going away." Violet pressed a hand to her temple and winced. "Here. It happens when I press this spot."

I took her hand. "It'll pass, okay? Don't worry, I'll take care of you." I pulled her into a warm hug.

Sudden cloudiness washed over my head, making me feel dizzy. I pulled out of the hug quickly, surprising Violet. I stumbled outside into the fresh air and I turned away from Violet, masking my discomfort. I breathed shallowly, panicking. And as quickly as it came, the dizziness vanished. As I went back into the hideout, I noticed Violet's hurt expression. "I'm sorry," I said. "I thought someone was coming so I went out to look." I was surprised at how easily the lie rolled off my tongue. Violet seemed to accept that reason, however, she didn't seem happy about it. She turned around, setting aside her makeshift bed.

I picked up my notebook from the floor, thinking. What had caused that moment of dizziness? I never got memory flashback headaches as Violet did and it had never happened before. It couldn't be a memory flashback headache, anyway. They always left lasting head pains in Violet, while this one had vanished into thin air. I couldn't even feel any of that dizziness anymore. It was gone like it never happened.