Chapter Sixty-Eight: Whatever Happens Next

I sat at the kitchen table late one night, when I should have been sleeping. I had gotten home from work, exhausted and intention of heading straight to bed...only to get distracted by a small black box that was sitting on the kitchen table. I immediately grabbed it and opened it up to reveal a beautiful, vintage engagement ring. Since then I'd sunk into a chair and I'd been staring at it ever since.

It was gorgeous and aged and...a little daunting to be completely honest. It was just sitting there, in the black cushion, waiting for me to put it on and basically, officially become a future member of the Harrington family. As soon as I slipped it onto my finger I would be engaged.

That was hard to truly wrap my head around. Engaged, as in one step closer to being married, as in the future Mrs. Harrington. It was insane to think about...and I hadn't even officially met his parents.

The front door opened around eleven, as Steve got home from doing something with Dustin. He came in, pausing in the doorway, clearly not expecting to see me awake. I glanced up at him and he looked back at me, his eyes dropping to the box that was open on the table before meeting my eyes again. I cringed.

"I forgot I left that out," He groaned, "Ugh, that's so frustrating. I had this whole thing planned, I was going to do a proper, traditional proposal, and-"

"Steve, I think we learned a long time ago, that there's nothing 'traditional' about us." I pointed out. "I mean, you suggested our engagement in a mall bathroom, moments after we'd puked up a Russian truth serum." He sighed, sitting in the chair across from me. 

"Yeah, I suppose. But that's what I was doing with Dustin. We were workshopping this whole stupid plan, and we were going to go back to the Byers' old place because that's where we first kissed, and-"

"And, it doesn't matter," I interrupted, "I will love whatever we do because its us. I love us just the way we are."

He nodded, glancing down at the box again.

"And the ring?" He asked. "How do we feel about the ring? It's my grandma's ,so I know its old fashioned, but-"

"Its beautiful, Steve, it...I couldn't have picked out a prettier one."

"Really?" I nodded. "Well...in that case."

He took the box off of the table, getting down on one knee in front of me. I laughed, shaking my head at him as he took my left hand in his. 

"Riley...will you please do me the honor of truly, and officially...becoming my fiancé?"

"Yes, you dork. I already said yes, remember?" he laughed, taking the ring out of the box and depositing it on the table before slipping the ring onto my left ring finger. I smiled, pressing my other hand over my mouth as I looked down at it.

"How does it fit?" He asked.

"Perfectly, its the perfect size," I said, taking my hand down and looking at him. He smiled, moving onto both of his knees and putting his hands on either side of my legs, "If our many, many near death experiences have taught me anything, its that I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

"Yeah, me too, Barbie," He said quietly, "However long that may be."

My smile faltered a bit, and I put my hands in my lap, looking down at the ring again. 

"Dad..." I trailed off, tucking my hair behind my ear, "He...he's going to miss my wedding. He can't walk me down the aisle, he..."

"I know," He said quietly, "And I know that it won't be the same without him, but we'll try to make the most of it, yeah?" I nodded, swallowing back my tears. "Eleven will have to come back eventually, so I bet we can get Jonathan to do it. Or maybe one of those bumbling cops he always worked with? Or that scary receptionist lady-"

I laughed, wiping tears from my eyes with my fingers as he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me to the edge of my chair so that he could lay his head on my chest.

"Please don't cry," He said softly, "This is supposed to be one of the happiest moments of our lives. You know your Dad would want you to enjoy this."

I blew out a breath, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I am, I promise I am. I'm really happy, its just..."

"I know." He pulled back to look at me, lifting a hand to brush fallen tears off of my cheeks. "He'll be there in some way, though. We'll make sure of it."

"Yeah." I chuckled, sniffling sadly before leaning down to kiss Steve.

"And hey, don't forget," He continued, "This ring, the engagement, our eventually marriage, you know what that all means, right?"

"We get tax benefits?" I asked.

"No. Wait, you do your taxes?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Steve, have you not been paying taxes?"

"What? I didn't-Never mind, that's not what I'm talking about," He continued, "It means, that legally, emotionally, physically, in every sense...whatever happens next...we'll do it together." I smiled, nodding in agreement.

"Yeah...whatever happens next."

~~~

I AM SO BEYOND EXCITED, SEASON 4 COMES OUT NEXT WEEK!!!! This is just a friendly reminder that I will in fact be continuing Steve and Riley's story throughout season four, so stick around for that. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!