thirty-nine

There was a thin line between the feeling of love and hatred. My connection with Liam dwelled somewhere in between both.

For the longest period of time, I'd thought I missed him. That I was using Xavier, my family, Giovanna to help me get over the thoughts of him for a while, and when he decided to return, we would find a way to work things out somehow. As usual.

But the longer he made me wait for him, the continuation of getting let down by someone you cared so much about was transmitting my desperation into an anger. I tried to ignore it. I tried to ignore him.

Then, out of nowhere, he decided to make his return.

Without a word being given, without a notice, he just popped up out of nowhere and acted as if we were never apart. His ignorance frustrated me as much as his controlling act did. I knew men could be all ignorant and controlling of lots of things, but even during the time when they didn't see eye to eye, I had never seen my Papa treated Mama such way Liam treated me. He punished me emotionally, repeatedly and expected me to stick with him through our rough patch. The rough patch which he had created on his own. My life and his should be the most unproblematic lives anyone could ever live. We didn't have to struggle for anything. Shelter. Money. Food. Friends. The both of us together should be the happiest couple on this earth, yet with Liam by my side, I felt the complete opposite.

A burden of guilty conscious was resting on my shoulders while a look of disappointment was written across my deep scowling face. I watched as Dr. Jonathan, the Luciano family's docter carefully dressed Liam's wound and gave the maids instructions as to how to properly take care of it daily. On the side of that, Dr. Jonathan had also prescribed Liam some pain medications which I found all the way unnecessary. He would never touch, let alone swallowed those pills. So why wasting it when we could have given them to the other people inside this mansion instead since their Master was such a pain in the ass.

I wasn't looking forward to it. The moment that  everyone had finally finished their businesses and gone off to fulfill the other things duties inside the house, leaving me and Liam completely by ourselves in his bedroom.

Liam was half lying, half sitting up in his bed while I was standing at the foot of it. If looks could kill, neither one of us would still be breathing by now.

"Come." Breaking the silence all at once, Liam urged me to come forward. Next to him on the bed that was where he wanted me.

When I didn't move, his eyebrows drew down and his eyes narrowed. A part of me was growing uneasy seeing him dissatisfied.

Why?— I wasn't sure either.

My lips came together and I pursed them into thin line. I didn't know where to begin. The investigation or an apology.

"I didn't mean it." I said regretfully, "The kick. I didn't mean to kick you that hard."

"You didn't kick me that hard." He said, lightly smiling while I frowned, "I already have an injury there so,"

An injury?

I moved myself closer toward the bed and was standing at the side where Liam was lying down.

He looked as if he knew what I was going to ask already, but instead of letting me finished my questionnaire, he cut me off.

"How was graduation?" He asked.

It didn't take me long to figure out what he was doing and that he was trying to distract me from the problems. Our problems. It was all that he did.