forty (mature content)

"Let's go."

Looking up from my phone to Liam, I gave him a small nod. He held out his hand, offering me a help to get back on my feet which I gladly accepted. Amidst the state of peace and comfort quietness, we headed for the door.

For about a half an hour right before Giovanna was sent to come and alerted us of the dinner, Liam and I were lying around in his bed, doing nothing else but talked. We talked and talked, to the point where it was safe to say that we had a much better understanding then than at any time before.

He had broken down his wall and guard to let me in. We felt normal. Like a real couple.

It wasn't the one quality of him anyone'd ever expected, but as it turned out, Liam could be the best conversationalist. Noted— if only he wanted to. I mean it couldn't be possible that any one of the stories he told weren't interesting. In the sense, he lived his life to the fullest, and the darkest since day one. I had a hard time learning in-dept about what he did for living and his business works in general. With a better idea of who he was outside of the house, it made certain topics even harder and tougher for me to comprehend. I didn't want to be afraid of him, but sometimes the thought of him hurting me in the way he harmed those other people involuntarily entered my mind. I tried to stop it, but couldn't. It was like I have got a new image of him to paint and it looked nothing at all like the one before.

While my ideas ran rampant, I forced myself to snap out of my thought as we approached the staircase—one flight down, then another flight down before we'd stood side-by-side against an uncountable number of stares from the houseworkers. Everyone looked somewhat surprised and there was no blaming them. In the general run of things, it would have taken us much longer than an hour to work things out, and this time nobody was forced to leave the house in order to put an end to our argument. It was a big step for both of us, me and Liam.

However, I could only hope we maintained this high standard from this very day and so on.

A cold evening breeze laced with smells of food brushed past my face and my stomach growled. It had been more than eight hours since my last proper meal of food, and it was only a tuna sandwich and a small bottle of water. My mouth watered at the scene of food in colourful display. The table was decorated nicely and there were seats reserved for everyone.

"There they're."

Looking to my right, I saw Jack approaching the table with a camera in his hand. Giovanna was marching behind him, dressing in the complete set of the graduation gown and hat. I figured they probably went around the house for pictures while waiting on me and Liam.

"You changed?" Giovanna arched her eyebrows as her glance swept over my outfit. I was wearing a simple mid-length white dress now compared to the tighter and much formal-looking one before.

I lazily nodded, "Yes. My dress was too tight and drenched with sweats."

"Oh, I wonder why..." Jack smirked at us playfully. But before he could add more lines to his joke, the man beside me shot him a death glance.

"I mean like I had it on for the whole afternoon, Jack, and I was running places." I muttered, annoyingly.

"Don't bother explaining yourself." Liam mumbled before his hand came down resting on the small of my back and gently, he nudged me forward.

"Alright, kids. Time to eat." Pedro's voice announced loudly and out of nowhere, everyone seemed to reappear.

The long table filled with families and siblings. Liam sat to the right of his father, who sat at the head of the table, and across from my Papa. The seating arrangement I found very awkward. For the first time in a very long time, we sat down altogether for a proper dinner. Hopefully, this one was nothing like the one we shared before. I prayed for no more bad news.