Chapter 9

Madelaina :

The sun is less bright than it was earlier, when I step out of my room.

I saw most of the servants outside this morning. Enjoying the heat that is not so frequent around here apparently. I should be doing the same.

But one: too many people. And two: a mansion to myself.

You do the math.

I don't bother with the first, second and fourth main floors, seeing as I already know what's on them. But l instead decide to explore the third floor, which I get to myself.

Putting Salem down, I think about where to start.

I decide on working my way from the first door to the last.

As I walk to the first door, Salem dutifully follows after me.

I open the door to be disappointingly met with a simple broom closet.

I go for the second door. Then the third, the fourth and all of the ones after. Coming up with nothing but closets, spare rooms, sitting rooms and bathrooms.

So this may have been a huge waste of time.

I arrive at the last door. The one at the left end of the floor. The biggest ones.

They are a set of large, wooden doors. Engraved with images of castles and forests, kings, queens and magic.

A story.

Let's hope that what lies behind them is just as intriguing as what I'm expecting.

I grab the golden knob and twist it, pushing with all my weight until it finally gives in and opens up.

I walk a total of two steps before I stop.

A library.

A beautiful library filled with thick oak bookcases, that stand fifteen feet tall.

There are two floors. A dark wooden spiral staircase separating one from the other.

I tilt my head back, the smell of old parchment and candle wax invading my sense of smell.

The ceilings are coated with paintings of the same story that lies on the doors. This time used with dazzling shades of colour and scattered with gold foiling.

This. This is what I've been looking for.

I run my fingertips over one of the bookcases and I feel like I can finally breathe for the first time in a year.

I remain here for a few hours

I remain here for a few hours. Seating myself in one of the many comfortable chairs and sofas that are placed within the library. One by the fireplace on the second floor.

I haven't lit it though. Not yet. At night. When it's dark outside and everything is quiet. So that the only sound I can hear is the soft crackling of the fire. And all I can feel is the warmth of the dancing flames as they light the pages of the book in my hands.

Smiling to myself, I descend the stairs and walk towards the doors.

I feel myself step on something and look down to find a key.

I pick it up and blow away the dust that clings to the moulded gold.

It looks like a simple door key... for this door?

I decide to try it. Closing the doors and looking for the keyhole. Only, I can't find if.

There is no hole under the knobs, nor next to them.

I then decide to look at the engravings again.

They truly are beautiful.

I follow the story from the start, stopping on one of them near the middle on the left.

A queen.

Dressed in a gown and wrapped with a cloak. Adorning a crown and holding a sceptre.

There it is.

Hidden in the carvings of the jewels of the staff.

I slide the key inside and twist it.

I cannot help the grin on my face as the doors click.

Locked.

Like a secret.

My secret.