Chapter 019

Herman Easton came back from the hospital, feeling a little annoyed.

It was still unknown whether the baby would be affected by alcohol. When he walked out of the door, he was provoked by Cora Cromwell. What an unlucky day!

The cars were passing by on the road. The cars' fumes raised the dust and drifted around.

The whole city was hectic, impetuous and uneasy.

Herman felt a little hungry, so he bought some bread and a tub of yogurt from the convenience store and sat on the edge of the flower bed.

A breeze blew, gently blowing the fringe of his forehead. He looked up and found that the sky was gloomy and the fluffy clouds were compressed. The air was suffocating.

A storm was coming soon.

.....

Anna knocked on the door and entered Jared Cromwell's office with his consent.

"President Cromwell, this is the document you asked for from the department downstairs."

As she spoke, she put a leather folder containing documents onto Jared Cromwell's desk.

Jared Cromwell nodded and signaled for Anna to leave.

When the door closed, he glanced at the brown envelope briefly. Then he turned around and put aside the document he was reading, and picked the brown envelope up.

It was the information about Herman Easton that he ordered someone to gather for him in the morning.

He opened the brown envelope and took out a stack of paper reports.

Jared Cromwell took a quick glance at it, then picked up the pen and circled around the birthday column, reading it several times in his heart.

After looking through this basic information, Herman Easton's life experience was uncovered.

Herman Easton was born in a very remote country. It was surrounded by mountains and rivers and had a beautiful environment. In his childhood, he was like all the children, carefree, cute and naughty.

Jared Cromwell could not help stretching out his hand to touch Herman Easton's blurry childhood photo.

He had a chubby baby face. His eyes were round and glassy. He held a dirty fluffy teddy bear, his lips pouted like a fierce kitten.

Jared Cromwell chuckled unconsciously. He did not expect Herman Easton to be so harmless.

So cute.

Herman Easton should have been so happy, but his life was not as good as he would have wished.

At the age of 13, his grandparents who loved him passed away.

It was as if Pandora's box had been opened. Since that day, his happy times had gone, leaving only the dark memories.

His father displayed the symptoms of being an alcoholic, home abuse and having affairs. He often hung out with women until midnight, and then returned home so drunk. He would beat Herman Easton's mother's head with beer bottles. When Herman Easton made a sound, he would tie him up with a hemp rope, cover his mouth, and use an iron hanger to beat him until his anger had run out.

His mother wanted to divorce him, but unexpectedly, she encountered fierce opposition from the whole family. They thought that the divorce between women and men would make the whole family lose their respect in the society. So they tried everything to stop the divorce. Grandma directly scolded her in front of the whole family for not knowing how to compromise and told her that she was fail as a woman!

Herman Easton's mother endured for him. But they were abused by the father again and again. He even made a big cut on Herman Easton's neck. The mum decided to bring Herman Easton to board on an overnight train in order to flee.

Since then, Herman Easton and his mother depended on each other and struggled to survive in a strange city like weeds.

Five years ago, Herman Easton's mother got lung cancer and died with regret in her heart.

After his mother passed away for half a year, Herman Easton worked in the Cromwell Group.

After that, he met Jared Cromwell.

It was the first time that he had liked a person so much. Even if he was petty, he wanted to bring out everything he had to treat Jared Cromwell well. He made up his mind to please him and get close to him.

Jared Cromwell's heart was a little heavy. He moved his fingers and flipped over another page.

At the end of this document, there were three screenshots, which was a blog created by Herman Easton, an inactive account.

The first post was reposted news a bullet train which hit and killed someone to death. The family was compensated in hundreds of thousands.

Herman Easton added a short line of words, "It would be nice if the dead person under the carriage was me, then my mother would have the money to cure her disease..... "

It was not difficult to imagine how sad and heavy his mood was when he wrote these sentences.

The second post did not have a picture on it. "When I took the bus today, I saw a girl sleeping on a boy's shoulder. The guy kissed her face quietly. Both of them sat in the sunshine, and the eyes of the passengers next to them were full of blessing. Haha, actually, a gay person like me really wants to do these kinds of thing in public too..... "

Jared Cromwell tightly pinched the paper.

He could even imagine that Herman Easton, who was sitting in the dark, looked at the bustle and warmth of others, with a little humble expectation and a little frustration in his eyes.

The last post of Herman Easton was four years ago.

"Though my knee was bleeding from riding bicycle today, Jared Cromwell said he liked my cooking today! I'm so happy. If I can break my knee once again, I can make him like me more. Haha, then I would love to be a cripple!"

Jared Cromwell's heart suddenly ached.

He took out a cigarette from the side and walked towards the French window, as if trying to calm the surging emotions in his heart.

Until this day, then just he finally had a general understanding of Herman Easton's personal life.

Herman Easton was like a weed. He was fragile, and tough too. Even he had the humble as a scum that rooting deeply, but he also had the courage to raise his head and soar.

He had fallen into the darkness several times, but still climbed up with strength. He was living a quiet and ordinary life in the impetuous city, and he was waiting for dawn in the lonely night.

Jared Cromwell always thought that Herman Easton's love for him was so cheap, which was not worth mentioning.

However, that was really what Herman Easton all had.