When we had each other

A/N: This one shots a bit different as it takes place from first person character POV. Not what I'm used to but I think I did well. :3

I wanted to do a bit of a character study/perspective scenario involving a certain missing member of the Doe family.

Also, the brackets with italics are for more inner thoughts/opinions. It's still part of the POV but it's more separate trains of thought.

Hope you all enjoy! ^-^

-KittCat.

What was time worth anymore?

How many days has it been since I've been hauled up in here, forced to go through the same motions day in and day out?

I don't know anymore...

Actually...I don't know a lot of things anymore.

Maybe I used to.

I felt like maybe I was smart; that I had wisdom to share with the world.

I felt like I was powerful. I mean, I must've been if these people are willing to keep me here.

But I'm not either of those things anymore. (Or maybe I still am deep down.)

Whatever knowledge I've obtained, whatever power I held, I don't have it any longer.

Because the world turned against me.

It let me fall and crash with no warning, it let me burn up in flames I couldn't see.

The world locked me away all because I wanted a life of my own, a life that others had not designed for me.

Damn it, there are so many things I want to change, to turn back time to give me another chance and fix what had gone wrong.

But...I suppose that despite the hell I'm living in, there are things I wouldn't want to change, even if I were to end up here again. (Actually no, I wouldn't change a thing.)

.

.

.

Those I used to call friends, whose faces I can only recall in lucid detail, they used to bow to me, they treated me with respect only because I stood above them in terms of ranking and power.

They used to praise me as if I was some otherworldly creature, as if I was meant to rule over them.

But I didn't. I didn't want that nor did I want to be praised.

I just wanted to be me. I wanted to be treated as an equal. I wanted to have someone see me as their equal.

I wanted someone to love me beyond what I could offer in this world where only strength mattered.

But despite my wishes, I was forced to put on a mask and play the part.

Act like a proper young lady, represent the family, keep everyone below me in line, all that fun jazz. (Heh, dunno why I'm thinking about jazz, I always hated playing it in school. Could never get the beats right. Not to mention most instruments just weren't for me.)

Everyone treated me like an object out of reach, like a prize that was far too great to hold.

It p*ssed me off to no end.

I was the same as them. I was still human; I breathed and bled and cried like they all did.

So then why? Why wasn't I allowed to make mistakes? Why wasn't I allowed to do the things I liked? Who was I trying to please by acting like a mechanical doll with a smile painted on?