18| Picture

I drove up to a fence and had to stop Amara from jumping a hole through the roof of my car. I rolled down the window and pushed a button.

"State your name and business." Came a female voice.

"Uh, Lori Mader, photographer." I answered and heard a click. The fence parted and I drove on.

"We're meeting the Avengers. You're shooting pictures for the Avengers. We're meeting the Avengers. I already had said that... I'm so excited!"

"I can tell." I smiled as I parked the car. "Let's go."

Amara was out of the car faster than I opened my door and I wondered who the real Quicksilver now really was. She ran to the door that was being pushed open by Peter; in his Spider-Man suit.

"Hi, Peter!" My sister greeted the boy, and the eyes on his mask turned big.

"What? How... How did you... What?" He looked over at me and then back at Amara. "I'm not Peter. No, no. I, uh... I'm Clark."

"Clark?" I repeated with a chuckle. "Kid, your voice is one major part of the giveaway. Everyone ready?"

"Yeah, yeah." He nodded and led the way. We turned a corner and took one stairway up, until we reached a room where everyone was watching television, or talking with each other.

I looked around and spotted Sam faster than anyone else. I did see a woman with blonde hair I didn't recognize, but that would come later.

I walked up to Sam and gave him a big smile. "Hello, wedding-partner."

The man turned to me. "Lori!" He beamed and gave me a hug. "Man, I saw you last week, but I couldn't wait to see you again."

"Same here." I told him and looked around again. "Who's who?"

Sam pointed everyone out and I registered all the names.

"And lastly, Spider-Man."

"Peter." I corrected. "Yeah, I know about that. He's not really that slick."

Tony spotted me and started to yell. "Guys, picture time!"

I chuckled and turned on my camera. "We do need to get out for that. The lightning is awful here."

"I take offense in that." The man pointed at me.

I shrugged. "Use bigger windows."

"Bigger than these?" Steve asked. "Do those exist?"

"Yes." I nodded. "Now, go outside."

"Bossy... Jeez." Pietro mumbled, but he was the first one out.

Amara was sticking with me, but she was dying to talk to anyone. She was beaming in excitement and it made me smile. I told her to talk to Clint's kids while I was shooting pictures so she had something to do.

"All right, everyone," I addressed the people once we were outside, "get together. Closer. Closer. Carol, can you lie on the ground before the group?"

"I wanted to do that!" Pietro shouted.

"Room for two." Carol said and patted the ground.

Everyone came together and I shot some pictures. Peter had taken off his suit so the first few pictures would be normal. I asked to wait with the suits.

"Guys, smile." I instructed. "We're not at a funeral. Come on. All right, this is not working. Let me tell jokes."

I thought about a good one, but my jokes were always lame. So, I went with one my dad used to tell anyone who came to visit.

"What happens when a frog accidentally parks?"

Silence.

"It gets toad."

Silence.

And then a few crackles.

"Yeah, I know, keep them coming." I snatched a shot. "Keep them coming like a sperm donor."

This made everyone laugh and I got more pictures before the suits came out and the photos got more life. I even showed Peter how I looked over everything and gave him tips on how to make better pictures.