Mama's Hand

Vote and Comment!💙

Two months later...

"How was Physical Therapy?" Derrick hummed at his mother's voice, his eyes on the road ahead of him.

"Good, that burning at my fingertips finally stopped." He answered, he was suprised at how much he had recovered as far as mobility. They estimated he'd have about 60 percent. With him being in the best health of his life, healing was no issue. He was already at 50 percent mobility and climbing. He was going to make a full recover and couldn't be more happy about it. He was lucky though. Him tearing his stitches within literal hours of his surgery had been near deadly for him.

"How's Melinda?" At her name Derrick had a flashback to when he tore. They had just barely stepped off the plane. She had been fine and then she wasn't. She passed out and by grace he caught her. Tearing those stitches in the process. An officer helping him lower her as the warmth soaked into his shirt.

"MEL!"

"MEL! FUCK!" Derrick shouted.

"Hospital!" An officer barked out, picking up the unconscious woman taking her to their waiting car. Derrick rushed behind them ignoring his pain. Sirens turning on as they zipped through the streets. His family having to turn around and go right back to the hospital. Getting to the emergency room a team full of nurses waiting outside. Derrick jumped out seeing them laying Melinda on a gurney.

"Mr. Collins this way." A nurse called.

"Where are you taking her?! Wait!" Derrick called, as nurses rushed Melinda inside. A lightheaded feeling coming over him. He swayed a nurse steadying him. Sitting in the wheelchair he let them rush him back to a room. He had already lost a substantial amount of blood earlier. He had no more blood to safely lose. Having to get a blood transfusion was not on his bucket list. He needed it unfortunately. His mind ran wild as they stitches him back up. He was wheeled to Melinda's room the very second he was clear.

His wild heart frantic as he saw her laying in a hospital bed hooked up to a heart monitor. A mask over her face, low eyes staring into the distance. Dawn adjusting the IV drip. Derrick calmed seeing her. Hearing the rolling wheelchair Dawn looked over. Scowling in disapproval. She told him not to tear.

"Derrick...." She sighed, at his name Mel looked over slowly. The nurse wheeling him over. Mel reached out touching his face, tears falling silently.

"She's a bit out of it. I have her on Nitrous oxide. She had a panic attack when she came to looking for you. Her blood pressure dropped really low which is why she passed out. That's not uncommon with resuscitation. We have it regulated, she's dehydrated so hence the drip. She does have a cut in her mouth. If I had to guess by her swelling she was hit, might have bit her cheek. She has bruising on her neck, and her sides. The scrapes on her wrists are from abrasive material, so she was tied up." Dawn spoke, giving him a full rundown. Derrick nodded not taking his eyes off her. She continued petting his face content with that.

"As for the baby....heart rate is fine. Melinda is spotting heavily. I'm worried about that so I want to keep her here a few days to monitor that. I didn't see any weird observations. Placenta is intact everything looked good..... but she was resuscitated. That loss of oxygen did occur, there may be some issues with the baby later. There may not be, we won't know til the baby is here. Right now I want to focus on keeping the baby in there." Dawn concluded, Derrick nodded again. He was worried for his child, that the baby might have some issues. He had to remind himself that this could have been worse. Turning his head he kissed her hand.