Chapter Fifteen

"Put the flowers over there

"Put the flowers over there. Over there!" Clarissa shouted. "Just a few more inches to the right!"

Clarissa and I had arrived at her wedding venue a few hours ago to start setting up for the big day. She'd also convinced a few of her family members to help out with the decorating, and they were currently spread all over the place as they quickly paced throughout the room.

As the family continued to work, putting together the final touches, I stood in the corner with a clipboard in my hand, marking off each bouquet as delivered, and each table as reserved. I was halfway through finalizing the seating arrangement when I heard annoyed voices.

I saw a woman in a bright yellow dress turn to look at Clarissa. "Well, I'm sorry, darling, but I went to school to be a veterinarian, not a florist."

"Oh, here we go again. Margaret, don't you ever get tired of telling everyone that you're a vet?" a man who stood beside her asked. "I swear, you even told the flight attendant while she was helping us with our bags."

"And what's wrong with a woman being proud of her accomplishments, Henry?"

"There's nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments, but if you keep saying stuff like that out loud, it sounds like you're bragging," Henry replied. "I mean, hell, I'm a surgeon and I barely talk about it--"

"Ha! You talked about it with that bartender last night!"

"That's because he asked me what I do for a living, and I told him that what I do is save lives."

"And that's not bragging?" Margaret scoffed. "Why don't you just tattoo World's Number One Best Surgeon on your forehead?"

"Because I'm humble, Margaret! That's why!"

"Aunt Margaret, Uncle Henry," Clarissa interrupted their discussion. "I love you both--"

"And we love you, too, sweet pea." Margaret smiled.

"Okay, well, if you love me, could you maybe just... focus on putting the flowers on the right corner of the table? And then, you can get back to your argument later?"

"We weren't arguing! Who said we were arguing?" Henry chuckled. "You know that's just how we talk to each other."

"And after twenty-five years of marriage, that's how you and Trent will talk to each other, too." Margaret chuckled along with her husband. "Besides, communication is the secret to any long-term relationship."

"Trust your aunt when it comes to the marriage stuff, Clarissa, she's a very smart woman," Henry suggested with a sense of pride in his tone. "She was top of her class at veterinary school."

"Oh, you." Margaret smiled again before she kissed her husband on the cheek.

Clarissa rolled her eyes and took the flowers out of her aunt's hand, placing them on the right side of the table.