Chapter 37

"Look, it's the star o' the show." Agnes cheers upon her arrival when you walked outside to meet up with your sister.

"Agnes. I'm sorry. What did you say?" Wanda asked in confusion, having blanked out for a moment when you join them both.

"Oh, I brought my pet rabbit. For your magic act." The neighbor clarified, holding up the cage.

"Yes, of course! Thank you, Agnes. We will take good care of him." Wanda spoke as you took the rabbit and walked it back inside before you would leave for the meeting.

"Señor Scratchy just loves the stage. He played baby Jesus in last year's Christmas pageant." Agnes told you both.

"Oh." Wanda replied.

"Shall we?" You asked when you walked back out, ready to go.

"Oh, we shall." Agnes said before linking your arms and walking down the street with you and your sister. "So, are you ready to meet Queen Cul de Sac and her Merry Homemakers?" Agnes teased.

"Agnes, Dottie can't be as bad as you say." Wanda chuckled at the woman's description.

"Hmm, well, you'll notice her roses bloom under penalty of death." Wanda scoffed at Agnes before she stopped walking and faced you both with seriousness.

"Wanda, can I give you a bit of friendly advice?"

"Is it about the way I'm dressed?" Wanda looked down at her outfit, knowing it was not common for women to wear pants.

"Yes, but it's too late for that. Dottie is the key to everything in this town. Country club memberships, parties, school admissions..."

"Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves." Wanda chuckled.

"You get in with Dottie and it'll be smooth sailing from here on out. Just mind your P's and Q's and you're gonna do just fine." Agnes gave you her advice. "Same goes for you" she looked at you next.

"Or maybe I could just be myself? More or less?" You suggested calmly.

"Oh, y/n, that's good." Agens laughed thinking you were joking. You and your sister laughed along nervously before noticing a group of women leaving the house.

"Oh, is that her?" You asked Agnes.

"Everybody, hurry up please." Dottie called out.

"Hiya, Dottie! Your roses are divine." Agnes waved at her with a fake smile plastered onto her face.

"Well, thank you." She calmly replied, leading the group away from the house. Agnes sent you both a look before you joined the others and walked to the pool club.

~~~

"The Rotary Club is finishing the stage set-up as we speak." A woman spoke as the rest of you sat under a tent by a poolside. Dottie places a single ice cube into her drink and Wanda copies, trying to make a good impression. "They've given the gazebo a fresh coat of paint and will be installing the final decorations all through the town square. And if you recognize the antique footlights, it's because they're from my store." Beverly continued as Wanda continued to copy Dottie who was now stirring her drink delicately.

"And the chairs?" Dottie raised question.

"I'm sorry, Dottie. I didn't ask about the chairs." Beverly replied sheepishly.

"So you better not ask me if you can chair any committees in the future." Dottie snapped with a calm tone. Beverly sits down with disappointment as Dottie stands to address you all. You watch Beverly, feeling bad for how she was treated after forgetting one small detail. "The devil's in the details, Bev." Dottie said.