Chapter 6: Curse The Empress

As most royal families can be, they are complicated.

The former emperor who was in love with the current Empress at that time was a commoner and as crown prince was in agreement for a political marriage.

Marrying the Ophelia duchies eldest daughter, supposedly in heartbreak the Empress Annabelle Bailey left causing hatred and disgust for the former Empress, only warming to her later on as she was unknowingly being poisoned.

Caring for his son Hugo who he soon announced to the Empire as the Crown Prince, they reunited after finding out of her high status in the temple, an envoy to the Imperial Palace coming to meet the former emperor.

Ludisia. The goddess worshipped by the people of the Holy Kingdom, the members of temple all of which are women and amongst those women Annabelle Bailey was conferred a saint.

Making up for lost time and with her powerful healing ability, as well as the support from the emperor she was made Empress.

But couldn't conceive a child, until then the Emperor finally died of a heart attack.

Celeste's mother Elisabeth Bethany Crudêl originates from a Marquis family of mages with a long history of serving the Empire. On the order of the Emperor, the Marquis was asked due to her abilities to adopt her as his daughter. As a result of the Grand Dukes marriage to Elisabeth, a rumour spread that he was also in agreement of Annabelle becoming Empress, provoking discord with long time vassal family the Ophelia Duchy.

The house of the former Empress.

However, the Empress's petty tricks had long been seen, there discord apparent only on the surface. In order to fool the Empress herself and other nobles that supported the Empress and acted as her spies.

But then the Marquis and Elisabeth had all of a sudden vanished, presumed dead, the Grand Duke doing anything to look for them both.

Retreating into his territory to increase the effectiveness of his search, thinking that the Empress had something to do with it, but having no certainty as to where to accuse her.

Placing people to watch her movements, especially the Marquis house that had been succeeded by Callum Dustin Crudêl his wife's older brother, still trying to find out the truth of what happened.

The Emperor being dead meant that the Grand Duke would have the most power over the ruling of the Empire, then the Empress and the Crown Prince.

Now he'd understood for certain that this had all been a ploy, placing the Grand Duke directly under her thumb with the understanding of his weakness and absence in the Capital and court affairs.

Annabelle Bailey, born a commoner had now most of the decision making power to rule over the Empire.

Such a vicious woman unable to have an heir, naturally can't stand the crown prince whose away at the academy, unknowing that he'd already graduated two years in advance.

But with the Grand Dukes power that is easy to find out.

Though the best slap in the face to give her would be increasing the time period of the crown prince's ascension to Emperor, he wants his revenge for the separation, deaths and trauma caused.

Returning to the Capital and making his presence known, he has to remove the power that she has in her hands and the best way to do that is to cut off the roots.

The people who do her bidding: the troublesome nobles that support her and members of the temple-should the Holy Kingdom wish to takeover the Septimus Empire.

With the existence of Celeste he can increase the Valorean Grand Duchies notoriety by training her as his successor, taking over affairs whilst he is gone.

Increasing the family's reputation by having her partake in the annual swordsmanship competition.

The family living in the North are respected as they are feared, founding the Empire a century ago it is believed that their ancestors possessed the blood of a dragon.

With naturally high survival skills, it is truly no wonder how the clan has lived and reared the fife, due to the North's naturally dangerous and barren environment.

The Grand Duke a powerful sword-master, similarly with his daughters strength she'd be able to help give the squadron loyal to the Valorean Dukedom a run for their money.

But for now as Celeste recovers strength it is best to keep her identity a secret, to prevent unwanted trouble from multiple avenues.

******

"Jerome send this letter to the former Grand Duke, also prepare the books needed to be studied for successorship training."

"Your Grace?"

"Prepare everything that is to be needed for me to return to the capital in a year, the young lady maybe physically injured but her mind is perfectly fine."

"Yes Grand Duke." Sighing he retreated looking into his blood thirsty gaze.