chapter eighty-two

following on from:
season two ; episode ten { Coastal Venture }

JOHN ROUTLEDGE ALWAYS DREAMED OF LIVING ON AN ISLAND WITH HIS TWO KIDS

JOHN ROUTLEDGE ALWAYS DREAMED OF LIVING ON AN ISLAND WITH HIS TWO KIDS. Brooklyn briefly remembered the conversations she shared with her brother and father about the topic of living on an island, living off the coast of Costa Rica in a small shack where all they ate were fish and lobsters they caught with their bare hands.

Since then, it's always sort of been Brooklyn's dream to live in a shack by the sandy beaches, feeding herself with lobsters for days. However, her dreams of staying with her father and brother had been alternated into a much different story.

She was with her real family. She was with her brother. She was with her best friends. With her boyfr— husband. She was happy, content and even if it seemed like all had been lost, the dream she had been dreaming of since she was a kid had finally come true and it was better than she had imagined.

They had been stuck on this island for about two days. They've spent nights talking and laughing while JJ and John B brought them lobsters and fish that they roasted on the fire that Pope had set up.

Everyone would then go to sleep by the water, leaning up against trees with nothing but the fire for comfort and warmth.

Brooklyn had no idea what time it was but it was dark out. Brooklyn had her head resting against JJ's chest while his arms cuddled her waist, rubbing her thumbs up and down her stomach softly. JJ pushes kisses to her head every now and then while she drifts in and out of sleep.

She hears a sigh leave JJ's lips. "Hey, darling?"

"Hey, baby," she says softly, placing her hands over his own. "You okay?"

He pushes another kiss to her head. "This is how it's meant to be," he says. "We're meant to live on an island with our kids. We're meant to teach them how to catch lobsters and fish while they chase each other around and swim in the sea."

Brooklyn's eyes close and her body settles back against his. "JJ?"

"Yeah?" he hums, lips pushing against her head.

She lets out a small sigh. "D-Do you ever wish you were with someone else?"

JJ laughs like what she says is so stupid. "What?"

He squeezes her. "I don't know. I-It's just you've not been able to live because I've been tying you down and I—"

"Do you ever wish you were with anyone else?" JJ asks and honestly, Brooklyn was a little shocked to hear him say that.

"No. Of course not," she replies. "I've only ever wanted to be with you. Through everything, I've only ever wanted to be with you." She means it. With everyone that happened with Kiara, with Rafe even, she and JJ were meant to be and she knew that. He knew that and of course, she knew that.

"I only want to be with you, Brooklyn," he says, another kiss pressed to her head. "I know I slept around before you but I had to take my mind off of you and... well, you know?" Yep, she did know. "But I have you now and I'm not going to let you go."

JJ leans forward and peers over her shoulder. He places one hand flat against her cheek and brings her lips to his own. When he pulls back, he whispers, "It's a shame I can't take you here right now."

She laughs," How romantic." She presses his lips to his once again. "I'm sorry for asking. I-I don't know where that even came from. I have worries I guess."

"Come on, talk to me. Please?" He pulls off the sad puppy dog look better than anyone she's ever known. The sad eyes and the pouting of his lips make her fall into a rambling mess.

She frees herself from his arms and spins herself around so she is facing him. "Since the moment we started dating, I've been terrified," she admits and she is suddenly afraid she won't be able to dig herself out of this hole. "I've been terrified of losing you or losing interest myself because it takes me a long time to trust people. It takes me a long time to actually give someone my everything." She glances down at her hands as if to avoid his gaze. "When I fell in love with you, I was scared that I would mess it up and I thought I did when John B first found out."

JJ reaches forward and takes her hand. "Do you regret it? You know, falling in love with me?"

She meets his eyes. "No," she replies. "Because I do love you. The first time I ever loved somebody, they hurt me so when I started to fall for you I was cautious and I made sure that you wouldn't hurt me but you did the opposite." She squeezes his hand. "You made me believe that I could be loved. You made me believe that I was worth it. You're the reason that I'm happy and that I'm still alive."

JJ reaches a hand up to brush the hair out of her face. "I was scared when I fell in love with you too. I always thought we'd have some cheap meaningless hookup but then I started to fall for you. Hard. I watched you get your heart broken that first time and all I wanted to do was make you feel whole again even if it seemed impossible."

She pulls her eyes away from him again because if she looks at him any longer, she'll burst into tears. "JJ, I made a mistake, okay? I should of never fallen in love with him before because I wasted all that time when I could've been spending it with you."

"I think it's a good thing," he says. "Because now look where we are. We're happy and in love, okay?" He places a hand on her cheek and pulls her eyes back onto him. "Nothing in this world could make me not want to be with you."

JJ brushes a thumb across her cheek, wiping away the tear that had fallen. "Will you love me if I'm fat and pregnant?"

"I'm going to love both of my babies," he says, leaning in to push a kiss to her lips. "I'm going to love you until the day I die, Brooklyn."

"JJ Maybank, you've become a huge simp," she laughs. "Remember when you got caught for stealing and causing havoc? Remember when you acted like you didn't care about anything or anyone? What the hell happened to you?"

"I fell in love," he says, patting a hand to her thigh. "I fell in love with this girl who turned me into a lovey dovey idiot."

"And then you married that girl who turned you into a lovey dovey idiot," she chuckles, leaning forward and crashing her head into his shoulder. "I love you."

He places a hand against her hair and runs his fingers through it. "I love you, Brooklyn."

𝐓𝐁𝐇𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐄 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐒
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
— hello! i chose to write a lil filler
chapter... i'll probably write another
one or two?

— i kinda want to give you guys a
backstory of rafe and brooklyn
because there's more to that then
y'all know lol