Stuck

The only sound was the sound of our breathing as we continued to stare at each other. The tension and arousal were thick in the air. Instinctively, I clenched my thighs together, rubbing them together, hoping the small bit of friction would add to my relief. Fuck! I forgot how natural it was to be around your mate, how the wolves innately need to touch and be with your mate heighten when they are in proximity. It was something I wasn't used to. My head was in a whirlwind and for the first time in eight years, I could feel my resolve break. The presence of the wolf who abandoned me was swirling around in my head. After years of being abandoned by my family, betrayed my friends, hurt by the mate who was destined to love her forever, she graces me with her presence.

I could feel the palm of my hand curl at the anger that was boiling in my blood. For years, I cried and begged for my wolf to stay with me, to fight with me when he rejected us, but she didn't. She abandoned me and left me a werewolf with the inability to shift. My wolf curled away in the back of my mind and no amount of begging would get her to come forward to comfort me. She truly abandoned me, leaving me alone as a werewolf with the inability to shift..

I looked into the eyes of the man who was ours forever. I could see his wolf peaking through, edging to the surface, trying to work out if I am his mate. I know he won't sense me because the witch I saw after the rejection put a charm in place that stops him from feeling the full effect of the bond. The witch told me that if he ever saw me, the wolf in him would recognise me as someone familiar and the bond we felt would almost be a light strum. I remember her warning that despite her charms, nature and fate can overpower the charm depending on how determined the mates are.

I shook my head and directed my attention to the wall. I let out a huff, trying to convey my frustration with the man. "Well?" It exasperated me for a second time.

He coughed slightly. "I'm sorry." His voice was husky and deep. My eyes wanted to close and drown in the sound of his voice. It was sexy and erotic. It heightened my arousal further. "I didn't mean to bump into you."

"Sure you didn't." I retorted. I needed to maintain my ice cold composure. The quiet murmurs of my wolf were trying to break the composure of the many walls that I had built. He looked at me and tilted his head. I could sense his need to work out who I was to him, the puzzlement clear on his face.

"I'm sorry, but have we met before? You look familiar." His tone was questioning.

"No, we haven't." I stated cooly.

"Oh well, erm, my name is Jacob. Jacob Warner." He replied. He held his hand out when I looked at it with disgust. There was no way I was touching his disease ridden hand.

"Miss Romano." I stated. I masked my face, refusing to bow down to him and show him any emotion.

"Loretta Romano?" He questioned.

"Yes, but only friends and family call me Loretta. So Miss Romano to you." I snipped.

His face, that was filled with lust, now turned cold as he looked me up and down. I could see he was appraising me. It was like he was trying to work me out. Everyone knew who I was. I was a formidable businesswoman and if I remember his tactics; he was looking for a weakness. I chuckled internally knowing that he does not realise that he has been my biggest weakness, as well as a mistake.

"Sorry, Miss Romano." He said. The hand that he once held out for me was now hanging by his side. Truth be told, I know I wanted to reach out and grab his hand and never let it go, but I couldn't be weak.

As the elevator and rode, there was an uneasy silence. I closed my eyes as he stood beside me and faced the door. I could feel the heat from his arm radiate. I bit my tongue, refusing to speak. I couldn't bear to hear about his new life with his family. It would break me further. Honestly, I didn't think I could break anymore, but it was happening right in front of my eyes.

There was a jolt in the elevator, and the ground shook. Losing my balance, I grabbed onto the first thing I could, which happened to Jacob's arm. The tingles of his skin danced across my palm. The inferno of fire was now reduced to a simmer that a soft moan escaped my lips. I looked towards my hand and could see Jacob's unwavering gaze on my hand. He scrunched his eyebrows looking as my hand gripped his forearm.

I pulled my hand away as the elevator stopped and the lights flickered. The speakers in the elevator filled the small occupied space. "I'm sorry to inform you, but our elevator seems to have broken down, Miss Romano." Suddenly, the elevator abruptly halted. The lights flickered until they dimmed down into a soft glow.

I groaned, knowing full well that I was truly and utterly fucked. I was stuck in an elevator with the one man I loved and hated at the same time. My everything, yet my downfall - that man.. The man who rejected me and my wolf. The man who did not know that he was in an elevator with his rejected mate.

"Louise?" Jacob questioned.

Fuck. Maybe he knows.

Edited 05/08/2023