041

DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS-041

The first class of the year was Defense Against The Dark Acts. The fifth-year Gryffindors, Slytherins, Hufflepuffs, and Ravenclaw's were mixed. Kodaline sat with her boyfriend as she struggled to shove a wiggling Pickett into her pocket. The poor tree was trying desperately to get to Diana, who was sitting on the other side of the room. 

Sam and Benji were sitting together, their head huddled together. Hermione and Diana were playing a muggle name called Tic-Tac-Toe.  Diana won most of the game and Hermione seemed to let her.  Harry and Ron sat together a bit in front of the girls with the raven-haired boy staring at the blonde with a smile on his face. Ron elbowed him in the ribs, laughing as Padma had charmed a paper that shifted into a bird. It flew around the room, swooping past the teenagers' heads.

Seamus jumped up, trying to swat it down as people laughed. It soars past Kodaline causing Pickett to escape from her, jumping onto the bird and sailing across the room. He hopped across people's desks and onto Diana's who grinned as the tree used her robes to climb up to her head. Once on top of her head, he lay down like a starfish and started playing with her bunny ears. 

Suddenly a magical spark hit the paper bird, destroying it and the remains landed on the Patil twins' deck. "Good morning, children,"

A high sickly sweet voice said of Umbridge who was standing behind them. The room became silent as everyone turned to look at her. Hand in hand, she started to walk towards the front of the class. Diana watched as her new teacher used her wand to write on the chalkboard.

"Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations," Umbridge said with an elegant smile. "O-W-Ls. More commonly known as O.W.Ls. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe."

Umbridge waved her wand and textbooks were magically handed out to the students. Diana wasn't worried about her owls as much as Hermione and Sam were. She had her future job planned already, running the joke shop with her twin brothers.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven," Umbridge continued. "But you will be pleased to know that from now on, you will be following a carefully structured Ministry-approved course of defensive magic,"

Diana grabbed her book and read the title. Defense Against the Dark Act: A Return to Basic Principles. She frowned, nudging Hermione, who looked unsure.

The brunette quickly raised her hand. "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?"

"Using spell?" Umbridge giggled. "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom,"