45

It had been a few days

It had been a few days. A few days since La Madeleine's, a few days since the texts, a few days since Antonio got admitted into the hospital.

I sit with him now, my eyes trained on his sleeping body, watching over him from my chair. The doctor finally told me he would be okay and could go home within the next couple of days, but I was still unsure.

I didn't even know who attacked the venue that night and I can't even try and figure it out. I already had Grant check the security footage but they managed to disable all the cameras between the time slot that the shooting had to happen.

The doctor told Blake that she was right about his diabetes and that his insulin levels weren't the best that night, he seemed to have missed his insulin shot that time. Blake said he could easily live with it and the cerebral hemorrhage was very minor and it shouldn't have caused many problems.

She stayed by me through this, she told me everything I needed to know and answered all the questions she could about his disease. I guess being CNA and MA certified as well as on the medical path pays off in these types of situations.

She wanted to be at the hospital with me today, to check up on Antonio, but she had some classes and extra studying she had to do before finals and exams. We were cutting it close to deadlines, I needed to paint some extra projects, but I'd most likely do that at my mother's house when I got the chance. I could be back in my studio with all my expensive supplies and not the school's. The synthetic brushes weren't really cutting it for me anymore.

We have a new piece that needs to be done using watercolor, and while I usually hate watercolor because it's not as precise, I think I have a vision of my muse.

When Blake and I go to Nevada soon, I'll have to take all my larger and already graded painting backs to the gallery. My mother's gallery is a hallway in the apartment that leads to an extra room, filled with my paintings. It has some of her and Jason's things from when they were younger, only God knows why she kept that shit.

Her apartment is a nice size, she could upgrade to a house if she wanted, but I think she likes the feel of a smaller living space. So the four bedroom apartment is enough. I tend to slip money into her account every once in a while, knowing she could use it. I just never tell her.

As my thoughts wander, my phone rings letting me know I have a caller.

Blake.

My heart speeds up and my smile grows as I look down at my flashing screen, her name at the top.

"Hey baby." I say as I swipe the answer button.

"Hey, Sunshine. Just calling to see how Antonio is." I can hear her desk chair creak in the background as she leans back. Her hair was probably cascading perfectly around her shoulders- fuck I love this woman.

"He's fine. He's sleeping. Doc said he should be out in a few days and he can go home. How's studying going?" I fidget with my pants as she talks, my smile getting bigger every time she lets out a little giggle in her voice.