Chapter Sixteen

Hunter ~

Loud whistles could be heard from Pierce across the room and Hunter looked up to see he had quite the audience cheering him on. Declan simply held up his glass in a cheers motion, proud that Hunter had taken their advice.

Kenzie felt different in his arms - in fact everything felt a little different at the moment.

He knew that giving into his feelings for Kenzie was going to be a difficult and that dating her was going to be something completely new to him, but the most analytical part of his brain loved the idea of a challenge he approached the task the way he would anything else, making a checklist in his head of how to best accomplish his goals.

Intel...I need to gather intel before I do anything else. What does Kenzie like and what will she allow?

Hunter was so lost in his own analytics that he almost didn't feel Kenzie tugging at his arm.

She rose up on her tip toes and put her mouth closer to Hunter's ear so he could hear her better over the music.

"I think I need some water." She said, fanning her own face for emphasis.

Hunter had always been more than willing to help Kenzie, but now it felt like it was his duty, like she was his responsibility and he was surprised how good that felt. He always assumed that it would feel like a burden, but it was nothing like that. Meeting Kenzie's needs was...empowering.

He gave her a peck on the top of the head before he clutched her hand and pulled her against his back, feeling her grab hold of the back of his jacket. The crowd parted for Hunter's large body and allowed them to pass through as Hunter shielded her from the huddled masses on the dance floor. He was acutely aware of every person they passed, as if a switch had flipped within him.

Is this how Dec and the guys feel all the time when they are out with their girls?

Every cell in his body was responding to his admission and acceptance of his feelings for Kenzie and it was almost overwhelming to his senses.

Once they reached the VIP tables, Hunter saw Pierce and Declan give wide smiles to Kenzie, tipping their glasses toward her in a congratulatory gesture.

Idiots.

Hunter stopped the waitress and ordered a water for Kenzie.

"That's a good idea, go ahead and bring two." Declan added, letting out a patterned whistle that made Lexi's head snap in his direction as he waved her over.

"Make that three waters." Pierce echoed.

The girls slowly started emerging from the dance floor with big knowing smiles on their faces directly at Kenzie, clearly having witnessed their public display of affection that was long overdue.

"Another round?" Claire asked the group.

Hunter leaned against the side of one of the booth and wrapped his arms around Kenzie from behind, watching for her reaction to the physical contact.

She allowed his muscular arms to wrap around her and he gave her a gentle tug backwards, attempting to move her a few steps backwards toward him.

You okay with me moving you? I want you right up against me and out of the pathway of the dance floor.

To his delight she instantly moved and leaned back against him, giving him most of her body weight as she reached up and rested one of her hands on his forearm that was draped across her.

Holy shit this feels good - Having her here in my arms in front of everyone.

The waitress reappeared with a tray full of waters and set them on the table. Hunter reached over and grabbed one for Kenzie, holding out in front of her so she could take it from his hands.