26| Funeral

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Funeral

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 26: Funeral (Ronan's POV)

London was the first to jump out of her chair when the doctor walked out, still wearing a surgical uniform, with his mask, gloves, and medical hair net off.

I couldn't actually do anything for her. I could only hold her hand and stand beside her. Nobody felt good about this situation, it was just a gut feeling. I wasn't sure he made it.

"London," the doctor greeted softly.

"Is he okay?" London asked immediately.

The doctor glanced at me and my family. "Would you like to talk alone? Or is it all right to talk here?"

She glanced at me. "Here is fine."

"We're family," Dad nodded at the doctor. As good as family, anyway.

The doctor cleared his throat, "Has he been taking his meds?"

She nodded quickly. "I made sure."

"He hasn't missed a single dose?"

"No," London replied with uncertainty.

"I think he has. The meds weren't in his system and they would have been if he had them in the past twenty-four hours. Were you home last night? This morning?"

She let out a shaky breath. "No," she said slowly, her hold on my hand tightening.

"London..." the doctor hesitated.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

He shook his head slowly in response. "He didn't make it," he paused to see her reaction, but as of now, she was frozen. "I think he skipped a few doses, that may be why his heart couldn't handle the cardiac arrest. There are a lot of factors that play out into this. If he was stressed or upset about anything if he wasn't eating right."

"I- I made sure," London stuttered. "No, I made sure to take care of him."

"Sweetheart, I know. But he didn't make it, I'm sorry."

She stared at the floor. "Bring him back."

He frowned in confusion, "I'm sorry, what?"

"He's been your patient for five years. Do something!"

"I'm afraid it's too late. London, this was his fourth heart attack in five years. It's a miracle he survived three others. But he was tired, I know it's tough, but—"

"You have to do something, please! Just try... Something! Anything!"

"I'm sorry," the doctor said one more time before silently walking away, sighing.

And she lost her composure within seconds. She fell weak in the knees and almost fell to the floor, she began sobbing and gasping to catch her breath between cries. I seated her on the chair, kneeling in front of her and holding her hands while my grandparents sat on either side of her.