Part 13

Finally we managed to find somewhere somewhat permanent to stay, the past few months we'd been jumping from shitty motel to shitty motel.

We'd found an abandoned house in Norway which was surrounded in nothing but forestry. People hadn't lived there for about a year so it took a while to clean up but after that we managed to make a semi decent place.

There was only three bedrooms so we all took turns sleeping on the couch in the lounge.

Ever since we arrived in Norway I've had trouble sleeping, I feel like all of us have. The worry of being caught always running through our heads. Every time one of us left the house we would just wait for then to come home the worst possible scenarios running through our heads until they arrived home.

We were all on edge, Steve definitely feeling it the most. He didn't talk about it but we could all tell how incredibly stressed out.

It was now 4am and I knew there was no chance of sleep. I got up out of the bed and headed out into the lounge. Suprisingly Steve wasn't on the couch. The door was open which was odd.

I headed towards the open door and stepped outside the cold air hitting me causing a shiver to run through my body.

"Steve?" I said.

Steve was sitting down leaning against the side of the house. He had his compass open staring at the picture. I knew it was a photo of Peggy.

I felt a pang of jealousy hit my heart.

"Oh hey" He said turning his head to face me.

"Can't sleep?" I asked.

Steve shook his head, I let out a sigh and walked over to sit next to him, our shoulders touching. He took out one of the earphones and it rested against his chest.

"It's peaceful out here" Steve said.

"It really is" I said.

"What are you listening to?" I asked.

Steve grabbed the earpiece and handed it to me. I placed it into my ear hearing the beginning of it's been a long, long time to fill my ears. I chuckled at how typical it was.

"I like it" I said.

"I always imagined my first time dancing with someone would be to this song" Steve said.

"With Peggy?" I asked.

"Yeah, but that's in the past" Steve shrugged.

"Well if you ever need a dance partner then I'd happily do it" I said with a smile.

Feeling an odd sense of relief that he wasn't thinking of Peggy.

"I would hate to step on your toes" Steve chuckled.

"I'm sure you wouldn't" I chuckled.

Steve pondered for a moment before extending his hand out to me.

"Do you um want to dance?" Steve asked nervously.

A smile spread across my face.

"I would love to" I said.

Steve seemed to sigh in relief, I took his hand and stood up. Steve started the song from the beginning and positioned his hands. One hand on my waist and the other holding my hand.

I smiled and swayed to the music as the music filled my ears. Steve looked down at me and his blue eyes seemed to glisten in the moonlight.

As the song continued the two of seemed to gravitate together. I was now pressed up against Steve.

He moved both hands down to my waist as my arms draped across his neck.

I smiled up at him and he smiled back.

"I'm suprised I haven't stepped on your toes" Steve whispered.

"Your actually a pretty good dancer" I replied in a whisper.

I could feel my heart beat as Steve's eyes practically stared right into my soul.

The song ended but we stayed there swaying side to side. I honestly don't think either one of us wanted to back away. I don't know how long we were like that. It could've been hours or simply mere seconds.

I didn't want to move though. I wanted to stay like that forever.

We were interrupted when a bird squawked causing both of us to jump. We both laughed and moved away from eachother. I took out the earphone and handed it back to Steve.

"See I told you you'd be a good dancer" I said.

"Your not too bad yourself" Steve laughed.

I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly feeling my cheeks burn.

"Thank you" Steve said taking out his earpiece and stuffing it into his piece.

I smiled at him. I looked over to the trees where the sun had just begun to rise. The orange and pink glow shining through the cracks inbetween the trees. Both Steve and I turning to face the sunrise.

"It's beautiful" I said.

"It is beautiful" Steve said.

Instead he wasn't looking at the sunset, he was looking at me. I looked up at him his blue eyes capturing mine as his features glowed in the sunlight. The light beard he had grown. The strands of blonde hair dropping over to fall infront of his eyes.

He looked beautiful.

I felt myself move closer but before anything could happen we heard the door close behind us.

We quickly stepped away from eachother and turned to face the door where Sam was now standing.

"Uh am I interrupting something?" Sam asked.

"Uh no" I replied awkwardly.

Actually yes Samuel you were.

"Um well I'm going to go make some breakfast" Sam replied heading inside.

"We should probably head inside" Steve said a hint of dissapointed clear in his voice.

"Yeah" I replied.

As we headed back inside, the events which happened replaying in my mind like a broken record.