37 | Aftermath

What happened after that was more of a fever dream. You just remembered frantic inquiries from your parents, and Chat Noir using his cataclysm to vanquish the little black butterfly that had flown out of the broken card, before you were all taken into custody for questioning. The police let you go early, but going back home felt too exhausting, so you could only sit on the steps outside the station defeatedly, head in hands, trying to digest everything that had happened today.

Well. If one thing was for sure, you knew you'd be getting expelled. Lila was sure to tell everyone about your… little attack this morning.

Now it was evening, and the light was fading, leaving you to sit miserably in the growing dark.

Oh, it all felt like a nightmare that was coming to a close, whatever that really meant — oh, it felt like a twisted reality, where everything was on its head. If only you’d kept your mouth shut, then the catalytic argument would’ve never happened, and you could’ve just gone to school as normal, and tried to get on with things.

A set of footsteps approached you, and you were far too drained to look up, or react when the mystery person sat next to you heavily. You just sat there, and waited for them to speak, if they even would. And when they did finally open their mouth, it was surprising who it was.

Why did you punch Lila?” Chloé asked quietly.

You didn’t say anything in response for a second, before muttering, “She was being a bitch.

Chloé shifted, and you finally lifted your head, to look at her; her hair was down and dishevelled; “I’ve been looking everywhere for you,” she scoffed, tossing a blonde lock over her shoulder, “running off like that is dumb, you know?

You stared at her, in silence, shocked that she’d gone out of her way to search for you. When she caught your look of disbelief, she wrinkled her nose, and barked at you to tell her what was your problem. A shaky sigh escaped you, and you hugged her warily, which caused her to stiffen. “Thank you,” you mumbled.

Chloé very carefully patted your back; both of you were awkward, not great with physical contact, but it felt as if this hug was something you’d both worked hard for; you’d met each other halfway, and that was ok. You’d worked together, you’d fought together, you’d fought each other, you’d improved each other, and neither of you could ask for more.

Because Chloé was now your friend, and that was something you never thought you’d think.

The blonde girl shook her head, and laughed, “You’re very stupid. You should know better than to punch Lila. She’s going to come up with something to get you expelled, you know? She’s going to take that as a sign of war.

Fine,” you grumbled, “I’ll fight her. I don’t care.

"You're dumb," Chloé let out a half sob, but did not shy away from you, pulling you closer to her.

You let out a small laugh, and buried your head in your arms again, letting her dote on you for a bit.

After a bit, you convinced her that she should go home, before starting to head home, preparing for the lengthy trip that would take you back to your empty apartment. But as you sat down at the platform of the train station that would deliver you back to the suburbs, you received two visitors, who jumped down from the sky, and approached you. “Hey, (Y/n)!” Ladybug greeted you, with a smile, her partner observing from a distance.