55. like catching lightning

nini looked back into her large mirror, exhaling shakily as she traced her hands up and down her yellow ball gown skirt a few times.

she gazed back at her reflection, trying to see the good in what was to come. in her future that was set out for her...but then her eyes would fall on the little snow globe that stood right beside the window shelf and she would think back to everything she wanted but could never have.

nini took a deep breath, slowly walking towards her window to take the snow globe in her hands, looking out to the palace garden

she closed her eyes and held it against her chest, exhaling slowly and shakily before a knock at her door interrupted her thoughts, the girl quickly putting the snow globe away and turning around to allow whoever was there in.

and to her relief it was only benjamin.

"your highness, they're waiting now." he informed politely

nini nodded slowly, putting on a small smile "yes...alright. thank you benjamin."

she fixed her hair and tiara once more that had been perfected by delilah and two other maidens before following benjamin out, him holding his arm out for her to take to which she did gladly as they both made their way towards the hall

when nini reached the large double doors that lead to the hall, she felt nervous...she was finally 18 and it was time for her to take full responsibility in her life...and with something so huge and important. this would also be the first time she would see people of the public from her royal status. it was quite overwhelming...

"it is with great delight that we may now present; princess nina of autonia!"

"ready?" benjamin asked

nini gulped, staring out at the white wooden doors as she nodded hesitantly before he soon opened them, revealing the large crowded hall that had all been patiently waiting for her.

she heard hushed whispers around her, keeping ahold of benjamin's arm as they slowly walked forward with her eyes staring straight ahead towards two thrones where her mother had been sitting in one with a kind, encouraging smile.

nini exhaled slowly, continuing to walk down the little pathway before she let go of benjamin and walked up the steps, turning around as queen daniella stood up elegantly

"thank you all so much for joining us to see through my daughter and your future queen's important days to come." daniella exclaimed with a calm, soothing voice "i know her father, my husband and your king; would've been extremely proud of the woman she's become."

nini felt a small smile as her heart leaped at those words, feeling her mother take ahold of her hand comfortingly before looking out to the crowd

"please, enjoy the evening." she excused

as the crowd all applauded, the classical music went on, then all going back to talking and dancing around while nini took a seat next to her mother

nini felt a saddened feeling at the sight of the dance floor, seeing people dance together and she'd remembered how her father promised her when she was younger that they would've done the father-daughter dance together on this night. she even remembered how she would learn to waltz while standing on his toes and he would twirl her around in the air joyfully.

"i thought you would've wanted to greet people?" daniella hummed

catching the girl's attention, nini whipped her head towards her mother "oh...um...i'll let everyone enjoy their time first..."

daniella chuckled "talking to you would always be an enjoyment no matter who the person is."

nini let out a half smile as she looked down before she looked back up at the sound of someone clearing their throat

she saw benjamin with a smile, holding his hand out "i was wondering if your highness would want to dance?"

nini looked at her mother who nodded encouragingly again before the girl took a deep breath and slowly stood up, taking ahold of the man's hand as they headed to the middle of the room, getting into position as they danced

"...you didn't have to dance with me benjamin...i know you don't like these sorts of things too much." she mumbled sheepishly, looking down

benjamin only smiled politely "then who else would give you the father daughter dance? though, of course i am no where near-"

"of course you are like a second father to me." she said without hesitation "i'm very grateful for you."

benjamin chuckled "yes, well, if only you'd have listened more in your time of growing up to show it."

nini managed a light giggle "maybe if we were in a parallel universe."

he joined her in another laugh as they continued to dance along with the music before nini felt a light tap on her shoulder, turning around and gasping happily

"aunt erica!" nini exclaimed, bringing her arms around her aunt as the woman chuckled and hugged her back in a comforting embrace

"i've missed you too," erica chuckled whole-heartedly before glancing up at benjamin and back at nini "you wouldn't mind if i cut in would you?"

nini raised her eyebrows and glanced between the two adults, noticing how benjamin had sighed and looked away knowingly before she put two and two together

"oh-OH!" she gasped "of course! sure! brilliant! wonderful...i'll just-i'll be getting some food." she smirked, waving goodbye as she hurried off towards the tables to the side of the hall

"look at you all dressed up benny." erica grinned

benjamin rolled his eyes "please enough with that nickname."

"it reminds me of old times." she shrugged, taking his hand to get into position, the man noticing something off about her.

"i don't like that look." benjamin hummed as he started dancing with erica

the woman raised her eyebrows innocently "what look?"

"it's the same look you had when you pranked the guards when we were ten. that look." he explained "what are you up to ri?"

but the woman smiled at her nickname and just shook her head with an exaggerated sigh "oh nothing..."

+

nini excused herself from a crowd of people that she'd gotten to know, exhausted as she brought her hands up to her head and made her way to get some water.

"'you look too young to be queen'" she mumbled in a mimic, making a face as she did "well you seem too old to even still be alive, that's what."

she continued to talk to herself in a whisper, soon feeling someone behind her which she could only assume was another someone she had to listen to drag on and on about politics and topics she could not listen to for another minute tonight.

taking a deep breath, she forced a smile on her face and turned around to face the person that stood before her, but it had quickly dropped along with her glass cup that fell to the floor with a crash in shock.