1

"MOOOOOM! My brownies are slightly burnt" I pulled the tray out of the oven and kicked it shut. Jenny walked inside and took one. She instantly dropped it and hissed. "Stupid"

"What if they were weed brownies?" She suggested.

"If I could get hold of some but no, not today" I winked and we slapped hands. I removed my apron and tossed it at her. "Here put this away, please. I ache from head to toe"

"And why's that?" Mom arrived with the cutlery, as in, the fancy silver cutlery.

"Not because of whatever you're thinking; I was desk-bound the whole day and basically had to sprint here- in heels" I sighed and opened the back door to peer at the sunset.

It's very like my parents to spontaneously decide to hold a dinner with guests I haven't even been informed about yet. They pulled me right out of the GQ Magazine HQ just for this. And Jenny, well Jenny was here already they only had to pull her out of her room.

"I'll be right back" I squeezed past Dad at the door and walked upstairs to the bathroom. There I touched up on my make-up, fixed my hair and brushed away flour from this dress that actually belonged to my best friend and possibly cost an arm and a leg.

It's a simple black bodycon with a red stripe around the waist. Why is it so expensive?

The moment I opened the door, I could tell our guests had arrived. I quickly slipped off my heels to walk down the stairs faster. Which only brought more pain to my lower back.

Before going into the kitchen I grabbed hold of my perfume and sprayed some on.

As I walked inside, I was struck across the face with another apron which I can totally remember was not mine. Laughter rose up immediately.

"Jenny!" Mom said but not even she could hold back a giggle. Jenny walked up to me with a sly smile. I punched her shoulder playfully.

"That was quite the entrance" I turned to the guests. "Hello!"

Before me stood three people. Two of them I had probably seen before, the other one- well there wasn't anyone in America who didn't recognise that jawline.

Ross Shor Lynch, possibly the most successful person under 30 at the moment, stood before me in my Mom's kitchen. I inhaled and hesitantly shook his large hand.

"You alright?" He spoke in a low voice which still seemed very friendly.

"I'm okay, thank you, yourself?"

"Well, better now" he said and I didn't have much time to react because Mom chirped in to say dinner was on the table.

She cooked my favourite ever : Steak with drunken mushrooms and cheese-roasted potatoes. Just the mere thought of it made my mouth water, now imagine me in front of it. I was probably staring intensely at my plate right now.

"Charlotte!" Jenny elbowed me. I looked at her. "You were talking to your plate"

Ross and his parents looked at me amused.

"Sorry, it's my favourite" I grinned. Then it hit me.

I recently landed a job as a writer for GQ which earned me my own glitzy office (the only glitzy office - it's a men's magazine anyway), so Dad finally answered my prayers and dragged out the guy so I could interview him.

The whole country wants to know what this 25-year-old entrepreneur is up to, where he plans to go next and especially his love life. I'm doing everybody a favour.

"Thanks Dad" I said.

"What?" Mom asked. I shook my head.

"He knows what I mean"

Dad looked at me. "I do?"

That was enough to make people laugh. I blushed slightly and reached for my glass of wine. It tasted bitter and awful but it's one of the assets of being 21.

+++

Okay, I have screwed myself over with accidental sarcastic remarks and unbelievable sass so if I want this interview I have to pull myself together.

I mean, I'm probably coming off as the spawn of Satan but I promise, I'm nice. So far Ross has mostly laughed at what I say and we made small talk too.

"Okay okay" the cat is on its way out of the bag. "You guys can stop acting now. I know why this dinner is being held already"

"You do?" Mom looked terrified.

"Of course" I paused. "After all of the begging, Dad actually managed to get me an interview with Ross"

There was a moment of silence. And then, everybody but Jenny burst out laughing. I looked around confused.

"Was it something I said?"

"No silly," Mom wiped actual tears of laughter. "You and Ross are going to get married"

*shots fired in the distance*