Chapter Thirty-Two: The Delay

Chapter Twenty-Two: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖊𝖑𝖆𝖞.
word count; 7.8k

If there was one thing you weren't expecting, it was catching a cold while trapped in the frigid confinement of the Razor Crest's cockpit, stuck with a frog lady, a baby, and Mando.

Becoming ill had been inevitable. After all, were residing underneath the scorching binary suns of Tatooine for several rotations before joining the Mandalorian and eventually crash-landing on what had presumably been Maldo Kreis, a frozen rock. With a full rotation day spent struggling to prevent hypothermia, then a few brief moments in the hot springs, before abruptly leaving the pools in order to seek shelter from the giant spiders pursuing you... Someone was bound to get sick.

It's just... did it have to be you? Really?

It started with a few sniffles here and there. You worked on the Crest's repairs alongside Din, and a slight disorientation had become noticeable... but you hadn't paid attention to it. Once those repairs were complete and your group managed to escape that dreaded world somewhat safe and sound, everyone was exhausted. Froggy, likely still traumatized by the previous incident, had fallen asleep in her chair with her arms wrapped firmly around her canister as if they could unexpectedly be yanked away from her at any given second. The Child had immediately dozed off on Din's lap—and Din, with his stillness, seemed to be sleeping  because you had insisted various times on remaining awake and staying guard in case some pirate, bounty hunter, warlord, or anything remotely dangerous neared.

So, you did just that.

Only, you were cold. Shivering. Despite the half-functioning heater operating in the cockpit, your trembling wouldn't cease. The sniffling worsened, too. Yet you weren't exactly feeling... ill. So you snatched a blanket, settled yourself down in the passenger's seat and... stared at the stars. Observed the countless pin-pricks adorning the pitch-black void of outer-space, infinite and glinting, listened to the soothing sound of the ship's engine running, a gentle vibration that lulled your eyes closed...

And you fell asleep.

Hours later, your eyes snapped open. That chilled sensation, the frequent quivering, none of that had ceased by the time you awoke. Fingers clutching the thin fabric draped around your body, you found yourself incapable of feeling warm. Eyelids heavy, you lifted your head, a dull ache reverberating throughout your skull, eyes then shutting closed as a grimace appeared on your features. Every bone and muscle in your body cramped, likely due to the earlier occurrence. Eyes opening again, your gaze fell on the Mandalorian in his pilot's chair, seemingly awake and double-checking the statistics of the ship's integrity. Mentally, you cursed at yourself for falling asleep instead of keeping surveillance as promised.