Chapter 71

SONGS FOR THIS CHAPTER:

Take Me Where Your Heart Is – Q
What's Enough pt.2 – Junior Mesa
Be My Baby – HoneyWire
Lavender Kiss – The Licks

--

Chapter 71

HARRY'S P.O.V.:

I couldn't say when the last time I'd felt like this was. Couldn't entirely say if I'd ever felt this way at all. The overwhelming, chest-constricting, world-spinning way I felt when she looked at me, when she smiled at me, when she laughed, or even frowned – the latter of which I internally resolved to make happen as little as possible.

"Golden baby," I murmured, reveling in the sunshine pouring in from the open bay windows beside us, flooding the bed and her face all as one. My knuckle trailed gently over her cheek, down her jaw. "Pretty little sunshine angel."

Riv stirred, inhaling deeply through her nose. She shifted beneath the comforter, drawing it up to her collarbones before burrowing herself against my chest, her legs slotting through mine. "What are you mumbling about?" she said softly, her voice hoarse with sleep. "Waking me up before the sun's even fully risen, I should kick you out."

We'd somehow managed to drag ourselves back up to the bedroom last night, despite River's pleas to just let us sleep on the carpet in front of the fire where we'd lounged, talking and laughing, for the better part of a few hours. She'd looked like a little cat, curled up in my lap refusing to budge, when I suggested we actually sleep somewhere that wouldn't have her complaining about her back in the morning.

"Oh, you and I both know it'd be you complaining in the morning," she'd huffed with a grin, slowly getting to her feet, her face still a little flush. Her hand slipped into mine easily, like it was meant to be there. "Which is the only reason why I'll head upstairs."

This morning, I was grateful we'd made it up here. So that I could see her properly in the sunlight, glowing and beautiful like she always was.

Sliding my arms around her waist, I ducked my head down to face her. Tired, slow flutters of her lashes greeted me, followed by a smile and a small sigh. "Hi."

"Hi," I echoed, the corner of my mouth lifting in a grin that I couldn't help. "How'd you sleep? How do you feel?"

"Slept well," she blew out a breath, placing a hand flat on my chest, sliding it up to my shoulder. "And I feel... locked down this morning," a grin followed, and then she dramatically threw her other arm into the air, declaring, "Where's my phone? I have to text my dozen other side pieces and tell them I'm no longer available anymore."

"Dozen?" I barked out a laugh, tightening my hold on her frame, and swung myself until I was braced over top of her. "Gimme names. I'll let 'em all fuckin' know personally." Leaning down, my lips hovered inches from hers. "I had a dream last night." My gaze flitted to her mouth and then back up to her eyes – which were sparkling alongside the gentle breeze carrying its way in through the window, pulling strands of her hair onto her cheeks. The last bit of the rain had faded away early this morning, leaving only Italian sunshine and warm air in its wake.

"Mm?" she hummed, tilting her face a little toward mine. An unspoken demand, one I was much obliged to follow through with. Blinking a few times, I softly closed the gap between us, kissing one corner of her lips and then the other, trailing my way down her jaw.

"A dream about us," I managed against her skin. Goosebumps had already risen, peppering their way down her throat and toward her shoulder. Responsive and eager under the feeling of my mouth. "About you and I."