three: friends and foes

When two opponents are confined in the same room, what happens? So, there you have it.

You'd think they'd try to kill each other. But none of it happened in this case.

In fact, they made every effort to avoid being slain. Not by each other, but by the creepy stalker messenger who had previously tampered with their brains.

Yzabel, Aiah, and Gwen dashed to the nearest room they could find to flee the shooter, gasping for air. After a loud alarm sounded throughout the school, not a single one of their voices could be heard.

Silence.

The doors were locked, with a few chairs obstructing the way, and drapes closed, obscuring the windows, which could only be seen through in a translucent state. Gwen and Aiah crouched behind the teacher's desk, while Yzabel hid beneath the windows against the wall. "Why did we run? Why did we hide here?!" The mean girl whisper-yelled.

"So the shooter can't murder us, dumbass."

"What did you just call me?" Gwen raises her voice, her rage directed at the other girl growing.

"You guys, stop fighting! The shooter could be right outside that door and hear you argue. I can't believe we're on the verge of our deaths and you still manage to bicker at each other. "

"She's right."

Yzabel shook her head, "Gwen, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that. You're not dumb."

Another shot was fired, and their phones rang at the same time.

"I see the two of you are getting along now. Well, almost. You'll get there, but better hurry up before I do."

Gwen pulls out her phone and types in a message, hoping to get her answer.

"Is this your doing? Who are you?"

They begin to suspect that the unknown figure who had been contacting them all day Friday was the perpetrator of this heinous crime. The message had given her the creeps, and she'd been overthinking it, wondering if they didn't comply with the bizarre request, they'd be the ones taking the shot, not the cement floor outside the campus entrance.

"They said if we didn't get along first, we'll die first."

"You're kidding?" The mean girl scrunches her face, annoyed.

"It's not that hard, Gwen. We can pretend to get along, then once we get out of here, we can stop pretending."

"Aiah, what do you have to say about this?" "I'm fine with Yzabel. You're the one who has a problem with her."

"Yeah, why do you hate me so much?" The two began to argue again, endlessly answering one another's insult.

"Okay. Why don't you girls start by discussing why you hate each other?"

"This is ridiculous! Just reminding you that we're about to die!"

"We're going to die if we don't do what Anon says..." Yzabel mumbled.

"Oh great, you have a name for 'it' now?!"

"Anon is short for Anonymous- You know what? I'll start. I hate you because you hate me. That simple. I don't fight back unless I have to. I have no idea what I did to you in the past that makes you push me around so much!"

"And maybe because you..." Yzabel starts to lower her voice, "Because Coleen went running to you guys."

She thinks back at the thought of her best friend leaving her, all for a boy and a few friends of his that don't even care about her. Her cold heart wouldn't bother to warm up now.