18. Yes • ہاں

This chapter is dedicated to my sole rain, my rhim jhim rimmie6578

I have no name ; for I am only memory severed from you. — Vincente Alexandre

The morning may have seemed calm with it's bright skies and cool winds, despite the peak of Summers

The morning may have seemed calm with it's bright skies and cool winds, despite the peak of Summers. With the trees casting cool shadows on the roads and people dwelling under them for some relief. One after the other the crowd that had collected inside Asma Bi's brothel dwindled. In the calm day, life here was anything but. The death of Asma Bi had shook the foundations of the house. She had been diagnosed with oral cancer a few weeks ago. It made her completely incapable of eating without throwing up. Last night, Asma Bi had been in great agony. With vomiting blood and her daughters all but abandoning her case. Asma knew she had failed at her duties and would continue to suffer for the time that was left. In the last moments of her life she had seen all her life's hard work destruct. The opulence of her fine brothel house had dimmed as loan sharks knocked on her doors. Her workers began to leave in full confidence—her failure to pay and her sickness had made her incapable of stopping them. It had all fallen apart. Last night, watching her eldest daughter run away with a drug addict had caused her hope to break and she had passed away. With pain curling deep under her skin like full blazed fire.

Azmaray rested his back against the wall of the courtyard. It's chipping white paint rubbed against the back of his shirt. He sighed looking at the small entrance of the brothel, hoping that the guard would return soon. Upon his arrival in the morning he had been informed of the changes around the street. Unfortunately before he could be guided, Asma Bi's death had been announced and everyone got busy with that. Now he waited for that old man, Karim, to lead him towards Rani's new place. Luckily he did not have to wait any longer as the man walked in a few minutes later. His shoulders hunched and a prominent hunchback rising from his back. Greying hair and light cerulean blue eyes that were decorated with many red veins.

"Come," he motioned.

Azmaray grunted in agreement. Pushing himself off of the wall and following behind the man silently. The narrow alleyway was crowded. With doors thrown wide and cyclists ringing their bells as the drove by. Motorcyclists cutting through the heavy crowd and vendors shrieked out loud, selling their produce whilst rooted to their positions. A ten minute walk later they stood infront of a medium sized home. The door painted a chocolate brown and Rani's name etched onto the wall beside it. Azmaray thanked Karim before knocking on the door, praying to God that his wish be fulfilled.

"Salam," [Greetings,] a young woman opened the door, winking in his direction.

Coughing uncomfortably, Azmaray greeted her in return.

"Mujhe Rani sai milna hai," [I want to meet Rani,] Azmaray informed.

The woman giggled, moving out of his way and leading him inside. Her hands rubbing his toned shoulders, all women that sat inside the veranda turning towards him with curious eyes. A few flirtations and whistles thrown his way.