Heartglass 4: The Royal Decree

AZALEA

I rested my back on the soft couch of the carriage. It was an exhausting day. I was just glad that the fitting was already over. The palace didn't fascinate me a little despite its grandiose hallways, rooms, function halls and sculpted statues. Power and wealth had no meaning when I actually felt powerless and helpless due to the fragility of my heartglass.

I peered out of the carriage's window as I watched the blazing colors of the maple trees. Its crunchy red and brown leaves were falling from the branches as the cool wind swept them away. The peaceful sight and the warm colors were comforting and relaxing.

It is a shame that we can witness these wonders and beauties but we can't recklessly love it. How lonely is that?

I sighed and averted my gaze from the beautiful sight outside the window. I closed my eyes and focused on the dresses and suits that still needs some adjustments. The princesses were quite picky especially Princess Avi. She wanted to look her best on everything and she was sometimes hard to please.

Well, she was already at a marrying age but I don't think that was something to be excited for.

Though, rumors had it that her fiancé was the son of Duke Charles Veare, Ross Veare, another popular man to the ladies. But unlike Prince Dion, he was not a player. He was careful and aloof when it comes to the ladies. He was careful not to break anyone's heart.

Ross was someone I also knew growing up. It couldn't be helped since he was the best friend of the Crown Prince. With their opposite personalities, I wondered how they got along. Maybe they had the same hobbies? Swords and horses. They were both good at hunting.

But these past days, Ross only had less spare time to visit the Crown Prince. He would be granted the title of a Duke to represent his family soon. He was busy with the paper works and I heard he was already acting as the head of their family. I wondered why his father was retiring so soon. Was it connected to his heartglass?

I shook my head. Well, even if someone died, we were not allowed to care or to show any sadness or sorrow. Death became a natural thing in this kingdom and it no longer surprised us.

When I returned to the shop after lunch, I decided to work until five. I helped my seamstress to apply some final touches on the dresses. I also double checked the ballgowns made for the Crown Princess candidates. Some people said I was workaholic but what else could I do in this place? I didn't want to waste my time doing nothing or worrying for my uncertain future. At least, I lived my life without regrets and that was enough.

Despite the uncertainties of my heartglass, I still managed to fulfill my dreams. Something I was proud of. 

When I returned to our mansion in the evening, my mother rushed to meet me. I noticed the dignified man sitting on our living room – a man with a black hair wearing spectacles and a formal suit. He turned to me and slowly stood from his seat. He had a rolled paper on his one hand with a royal seal. I could only guess that this man came from the palace. Maybe a steward from the palace.

"He is here because of a royal decree. He said it is meant for you." My mother uncomfortably stood next to me, hiding her worried smile.

The man walked towards me and bowed his head a little. "Greetings, Lady Azalea of House Shercon," he greeted. "I'm Steward Alexander Roosevelt, sent by the King, to announce his royal decree tailored for you, my lady."

I refrained from furrowing my brows and biting my bottom lip. I had no idea of what was going on but I still nodded. I couldn't defy the royal decree anyway, though this was secretly making me nervous. Why did he come now? Why didn't the King discuss this to me before passing a royal decree? I was in the palace earlier, right? He could freely talk to me. Why now?