Chapter 15

The night passed slowly and Toni couldn't help but to toss and turn. The text message was both menacing and vague.

Who the hell is after me? She thought over and over again. Her mind ran a million miles a minute, trying to think of who could possibly be behind all of this. It had to be related to the Barinova mishap several weeks ago.

Is Barinova targeting me? No, she couldn't be. Miss Barinova is a bitter old spinster who relishes in the torture of her workers. A single hit, out of many attempts, wouldn't garner her to be after Toni. Would it?

At one point, late in the night, she got out of bed and pulled her laptop from a dresser drawer. Toni made her way to the dining area of the apartment, thankful that Valeriya was asleep. Or so she assumed. The last thing she wanted was the other to worry over something like this. It needed to be taken care of discreetly, there was no use or reason in putting both of their lives in danger.

Several mug fulls of coffee and a broken computer mouse later, Toni had gotten nowhere. All the searches she did came up with nothing. The number who had texted seemed untracable. It was more than likely a prepaid phone, but even then, she should have been able to trace it back to somewhere or someone. Unless the culprit shut it down after sending the text message, which was becoming a more likely solution every passing minute.

"What are you doing up...?" She heard a tired voice come from Valeriya's doorway.

"Nothing. I, uh, I couldn't sleep. That's all." Toni tried dismissively.

Valeriya joined the woman at her side and leaned over the place she was sitting, looking down at her computer screen. Toni shifted a bit in her spot, trying to avoid the smell of lingering perfume on her counterpart. It was pleasant, and a little strong.

"You're a bad liar, Antonia." She smirked, glancing sideways at the assassin.

"Ugh. Don't worry about it." Toni bit back.

Valeriya stood up straight, pulling her robe around her a little tighter. She gave Toni a vacant expression. "What's really going on?"

Toni sighed fairly deeply and turned to face her computer screen again. Not necessarily wanting to tell her what had happened. The younger woman seemed to realize that their conversation had come to an end, so she chose to continue it.

"Why is it that when I ask you most questions, you seal those lips of yours?" She asked while leaning down again, a little closer than before.

Toni's eyebrow shot up and she turned her head to look at Valeriya, not realizing how close they had become until their eyes were level with one another.

"Oh, I.... Uh. I..." The pale green of the Russian woman's eyes captivated her, forgetting what she had been doing there in the first place. She searched for a long time in Valeriya's eyes, wondering why she was so insistent on knowing all these things. Even though she had every right to. This was just something that Toni wasn't used to, the interest, and she didn't know if she would ever be completely used to it.

"Antonia?" Valeriya asked sternly, effectively pulling Toni out of her daze.

"What? Sorry, yeah. A problem came up." Her head whipped around, facing away now. She couldn't bare to get caught doing that again.

"A problem? What sort of problem? Is it serious?" She wondered, walking over to the dining table and grabbing a chair. She pulled it over to Toni and sat down next to her, looking at the computer screen again.

"Sort of." Toni mumbled, leaning her head into her hand. She knew she should've shut down the web page when she heard Valeriya get up, but she didn't. Now, if she closed it out, there would be even more questions on top of the inquiry about their new 'problem'.