34. Seven Parts

The next morning, Tom and Genevieve headed to the Restricted Section of the library, during their free period before Potions, so that Genevieve could ask him what response Slughorn had given.
She wanted answers, but she had no intention of telling Tom who she had been talking to the night before.
"Well?" Demanded Genevieve, before Tom had even taken his Alchemy textbook out.
"Well what?" Questioned Tom.
"How did it go with Slughorn? And is he on to us?" Asked Genevieve.
"Of course he's not on to us, I wouldn't have said anything that made us look suspicious. I even asked him if he knew how to make a Horcrux, to make it seem like I didn't know to create one. As it turns out, he doesn't know the actual spell involved in making a Horcrux".

"But he did know about Horcruxes though?" Quizzed Genevieve.
"Obviously. He's a brilliant man. He even knew that there aren't many books on the subject, here at Hogwarts, and he knew that it is a banned topic" answered Tom.
"Why does he think you are interested in Horcruxes?"
"I told him I came across the term while reading, and didn't fully understand it. If that had really been the case, Slughorn would have told me everything I needed to know. But of course, I didn't need to be told the basics, for I had only one question that needed answering"
"Whether or not it is safe to make multiple Horcruxes"
"Exactly".

"So, what was Slughorn's answer?" Questioned Genevieve.
"He said that it would be fine" informed Tom.
Genevieve frowned, "Really? So he actually said It's O.K Tom, you go ahead and split your soul again, I'm sure it will be fine?".
Tom rolled his eyes, "Not exactly. He did say that it is ill-advised to split the soul so many ways. But he couldn't see a real problem with doing so, other than the amount of murders you would have to commit to make 7 Horcruxes. But of course, that wouldn't be an problem for me".

"Seven! Please tell me you are joking" begged Genevieve.
"I'm sure I've mentioned making 7 Horcruxes before. Well, technically 6 Horcruxes, because that would mean my soul would be split 7 times, as a part of my soul will remain in my body" admitted Tom.
"You might have mentioned that number before, but I didn't think you were actually serious. Why 7 anyway?" Questioned Genevieve.
"It's a powerful magical number" answered Tom.
"So some people believe. But there isn't much evidence to back it up. Anyway, to split your soul 7 times is crazy"
"You think I am mad?"
"Yes. No one has ever split their soul more than once. I understand that you intend to set a new record. But splitting it 7 times is too extreme. You don't need that many Horcruxes to stay alive".

"If I want to live forever, I must take no chances. I will do whatever it takes to be immortal" informed Tom.
"You will sacrifice who you are as a person, just to keep a part of soul alive?" Asked Genevieve.
"If that is what it takes, never to die, then yes" replied Tom.
"Oh come on, you know that living forever is impossible. People have made Horcruxes in the past, and none of them are alive now. Having a Horcrux doesn't ensure that you will live for all eternity. Because, if you hadn't noticed, Salazar Slytherin and Herpo the foul, are not alive today"
"Maybe they would be, if they'd had more than one Horcrux. Don't you see, I will be better than my predecessors. I will live forever".

"No one can live forever, it is impossible. Look, just stop for a minute and think about the consequences of splitting your soul so many ways. I read that if you split your soul, you can't move on to the afterlife. Your spirit will remain in limbo, forever. A dark and cold place where nothing changes, and where you are alone forever. Which means that when you die, we won't get to be reunited in the next life" Genevieve said quietly.
"You really think there is another life after this?" Asked Tom.
"Maybe. I believe that your soul goes somewhere when you body dies, provided it is intact" replied Genevieve.
"Well, since I'm never going to die, I don't need to worry about things like that".

"So, you don't want to be with me in the next life?" Questioned Genevieve.
"I've already made one Horcrux, so my future is already written. Perhaps you should split your soul too, and join me in purgatory" suggested Tom.
Genevieve shuddered, "No thanks".
"You're never going to split your soul? Not ever?" Quizzed Tom.
"I can't answer that. I don't know if I will have to kill someone in the future. For I can hardly get through my life at your side, without having to kill someone eventually. But even if my soul does end up getting torn into pieces, by acts of murder, I want those pieces to remain inside my body. I will never make a Horcrux".

"You think yourself better than me, because your soul is whole, and mine is not?" Asked Tom.
"I never said that" Genevieve said quickly.
"You didn't have to, for I am good at reading you" replied Tom.
"Look, you are going to do whatever it takes to become immortal, and I accept that. But I cannot follow you down that particular path. Not because I'm better than you, but because I just don't want to make my soul unstable or risk losing myself in the process"
"You're a coward then?"
"If that's what you want to call it, then fine. I'm a coward".

"I'm not sure that I want a coward holding me back" admitted Tom cruelly.
"Fine then, I won't stop you from creating as many Horcruxes as you like. Nor will I attempt to stop you from killing everyone who crosses you. If you don't want me to worry about your immortal soul, then I won't. I will turn a blind eye to your uses of dark magic and your wrongdoings, but I will always be at your side through it all, for it is too late for me to back out now. I am with you, now and always, and there is nothing either of us can do to change that. We are partners for all time" insisted Genevieve.
"I guess we are. There is no turning back now, not ever. This is who I am, and my determination to become immortal, will never fade. So you will just have to get used to it" replied Tom.
Genevieve sighed, "Yes, I suppose I will".