𝙏𝙃𝙍𝙀𝙀

⌌⊱⇱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊰⌍
You are not invincible
— you are the perfect
person to target.
⌎⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⇲⊰⌏

I wanted to scream. Kick something.

It was foolish of me to think the Games were over. They'd continue for the rest of my pitiful, shackled life. Maybe I should have died in that arena. But would I condemn Caspian to this fate? Or Helia? I don't even think I'd want the Careers to have this fate — prodded and preened, an object. Not a person. A thing to have for one night, and then a conquest to brag about the following morning. A trophy, nothing more.

And I would not live that life.

"You want me to be a prostitute," I spat. "This is what you're asking of me?"

"In cruder terms... but indeed, Miss. Miller."

He smiled. He actually had the nerve to smile at me after everything he's just asked of me? No, he demanded it. I was smart enough to know that President Snow would never accept no for an answer, so I'm not sure what possessed me when I spoke next.

"My answer is no."

Tutting to himself, Snow sporadically coughed into his handkerchief and pulled away, revealing deep ruby blood staining the cream fabric. Blood. Why was blood everywhere? My breathing was shallow— laboured as I stared at the crimson substance, completely transfixed. I'd drawn blood. I'd killed three humans. How selfish of me it was to have spun freely, almost enjoying tonight when I'd done so much wrong in the world. But I supposed this was my repulsive punishment, my karma for committing such heinous crimes.

Snow's smile gnawed at my insides. "That's a shame. Lynx, my dear, I like you. I really do. But there's a certain level of deviance I will not tolerate, but no matter. I expected this. That is why my Peacekeepers are visiting your family as we speak."

My eyes widened.

"What?"

With a grin that could only be described as nauseating, he clicked a button, summoning a blue, flickering screen in front of me. My father's face was pale as he coddled Elio to his chest, staring in horror at the Peacekeepers invading their home. Our home.

Tears pooled in my eyes — I hadn't seen my family since the Reaping, and this is what happened while I was away? My fathers eyes used to be a bright, brilliant blue, yet now they were faded; old and dejected. His hair frayed, graduating from chestnut to grey, and his beard stayed ungroomed. I could see nothing of Elio but the little sobs wracking his small figure as he cuddled closer to Dad.

My eyes narrowed.

"One little slip up and a trigger is pulled, I'm afraid," he said in a false apology. "Your family are quite precious, aren't they, especially your little brother... Leo, is it?"

"Elio," I corrected through gritted teeth.

"Ah. The name means sun, does it not? A wonderful choice." He chuckled when I glared. "Now, don't look at me like that, I was hoping we could be friends. And as your friend, I must confide in you that it is a necessary evil to ensure cooperation. I would not ask this of you unless it were imperative, my dear, make no mistake of that. It's my job to help you."

Liar.

"If you need to blackmail people into following your lead, you must not be that good a leader, must you?"

Snow bristled at that, tensing in his chair as his snake eyes hardened. "Lynx, should they pull the trigger? It would be such a shame to end little Elio's life before it's even begun, wouldn't you agree? And to think this matter could all be solved with a simple yes. Will you cooperate?"