Chapter 1

Y/N POV
You're looking out of the window, as your uber driver drives you to your destination. The sky is blue, and the sun shines bright. Typical weather for LA. Children are playing and eating ice cream in the parks you pass, while the adults are talking and laughing. Everybody seems to have great time. You shake your head. 24 hours earlier you were in Afghanistan with nothing around you than dust. The military jet, that brought you home, landed an hour ago and now you're heading straight to a job interview. You didn't even have the time to change, so you're still in your uniform.

"When will we arrive?", you asked the driver.
"10 minutes.", he answers shortly. You nod.

You rub your sweaty palms over your thighs. You are a bit nervous. As far as you know, it's a job as a bodyguard for an actress. Your General organized this and you're grateful because it's always hard to get a job, after coming back from the army.

The uber pulls up in a driveway and stops. You hand him the money and get out of the car. You look around. Wow this place is beautiful. Whoever here lives has a great taste. You see two persons standing in front of the mansion and walk up to them. You recognize only one of them.

"General Lane.", you salute.
"Colonel y/l/n.", he nods. "Good to see you. I hope your flight back was okay."
"Yes sir, I actually landed an hour ago and came straight to you.", you answer then your glance shifts to the woman besides him.
"I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I'm y/n y/l/n, nice to meet you.", you smile and reach out your hand.
"Elizabeth Olsen, nice to meet you too.", she shakes your hand.
Her green eyes sparkle as she smiles widely at you.
Wow she's beautiful.
"Colonel y/l/n is pretty good at her job. She has been in Afghanistan for three years now and led many missions successfully. She's the only one who is able to beat me in hand-to-hand combat and an excellent sniper.", he praises you. You blush and bite on the inside of your cheek. You don't like it when someone talks about your job like that. Of course, you are proud to serve your country and make it safer for everyone. But every time a mission is successful means someone is dead.
"I'm impressed.", Ms. Olsen says to you. Her eyes search your face like she's trying to read your thoughts.
"Thank you, Ms. Olsen.", you smile lightly.
"Well, I have to get back to base. Ms. Olsen, have a good day.", General Lane looks at you. "Colonel y/l/n, welcome home. If you need something, just give me a call."
"Yes sir, thank you!", you salute, as he walks away to this car.

"Before you say anything, you get the job.", Ms. Olsen says to you, as General Lane drives off the driveway.
"What?", you look at her in disbelief.
"I heard many good things about you, and I would like to give someone a job, who did so much for our country. Plus, it's nice to have a woman as a bodyguard. Men are so grumpy.", she laughs.
God, her laugh is angelic. I swear, I'm gonna make sure to keep you safe, so you'll never lose it.
"Thank you so much for this opportunity.", you say and join her laugh. Men can really be grumpy.
"Do you want to come inside? I can show you around and we can talk about the working conditions.", Ms. Olsen asks you.
"Yeah sure." You follow her inside and look around.
"Okay, so here we have the kitchen. I spend a lot of time in here, since I love to cook. Do you want something? A glass water or a coffee?"
You shake your head. "No, I'm good. Thanks."
"Well okay, so let's go on. That's the living room and if we go trough that door, we're in my garden. Do you want to see it?", she looks at you with excitement in her eyes. You can tell that her garden is special for her.
"Of course, I'd like to see it.", you say.
"Great!", she claps her hands, and you follow her outside. "So here I planted some herbs. I really love to cook with them. And there's my salad. Ugh, do you see that? These snails are literally everywhere. I really need to get rid of them.", she rambles on about her garden and you listen to her, smiling softly.
"Oh god, sorry I was rambling. You're here to be my bodyguard and I tell you something about snails." Her cheeks get red.
"No, it's okay. As you said, I'm you bodyguard. My job is to protect you and I'll protect you from everything, even snails! So that's perfectly fine.", you answer.
She laughs. "Okay, but it's getting late. Let's go inside, so you can sign the contract and then I'll let you go."
You nod.

You two discuss about your work conditions, she explains how much you get paid and work times. You agree to everything since the conditions are pretty good and sign the contract.

"Alright, get home safe and we'll see us tomorrow.", Ms. Olsen guides you to the front door.
"Will do, see you tomorrow."

You step out of the mansion and call an uber to drive you home.
When you arrive and open the door, you slowly walk in your little apartment. It's been three years since you've been here, but everything looks exactly how you left it. You toss you keys on the kitchen counter and go to the bathroom. After taking a shower, which you really needed, you put on some comfy clothes and order something to eat.
Although it is strange to be back and it feels like nothing changed though everything changed, you're glad about today.