Chapter 13 : Bun In The Oven

1 and a half years later.

Nandini and Manik were watching a movie together. Nandini was lying between Manik's legs, while he leaned against the headrest.

"How are you now?" Manik asked out of nowhere.

"Huh?" Nandini looked at him, puzzled.

"You've been feeling sick, right? That's what you told me."

"Oh yeah, I still feel weak. Naitik's been extra cranky too. Manik please stay at home for a few days. I mean, I just stopped breastfeeding and he has been acting out." Nandini said, with a tired expression.

"Hmm...okay. I will try to cancel my appointments and go to work only for important reasons." Manik said and curled his arm around her.

"It's been a while...since we...."

"It's been 2 weeks." Nandini said.

"Yeah." Manik said, tracing her arms.

"I feel sick Manik. Not tonight." Nandini said and hugged him instead.

"As you say." Manik kissed her head and they watched the movie.

"Let me grab something to drink." Manik said and paused the movie.

Manik got up and went to the kitchen. On the way back, he checked up on Naitik, who was sleeping while Annie was sewing something.

She was very focused so Manik thought not to disturb her. He went back to the bedroom to find Nandini missing. He was immediately distracted by the sounds of Nandini's coughs.

"Nandini?!" Manik ran to the bathroom and saw her bent over the bathroom sink, puking.

"Nandu, are you okay?!" He rubbed her back.

"Huh..do I look okay?!?" Nandini snapped. She threw up again and rinsed her mouth.

"Wait, drink some water." Manik handed her a bottle of water.

After a minute, Nandini settled on the bed, calming herself down.

"Manik..."

"What happened? You are freaking me out here!" Manik panicked.

"Calm the fuck down Manik. You'll wake Naitik up." Nandini held her head and whisper-yelled at him.

Nodding, Manik sat beside Nandini and pulled her closer.

"Manik, I think I should try a pregnancy test." Nandini said, turning around.

"Whoa what?" Manik was taken aback.

"All the symptoms are similar."

"All the symptoms, everything ...they point to only one thing. I might be pregnant." Nandini said, trying to gauge his reaction.

"Okay. Do you have one at home?" He asked calmly, and Nandini sighed in relief.

"Yeah." Nandini went to her walk-in wardrobe and opened a drawer. It had all her emergency items. They went inside the washroom and Nandini did the needful. She used two tests just to make sure.

"I am very nervous right now." Nandini said, biting her nails.

"Yeah. I am just trying to remember if I have any important commitments, like last time."

"If you leave me alone like that again, I will murder you." Nandini warned.

"Haan baba."

"Don't stress. Be cool." Manik said to himself more than to her. He hugged her from behind and placed his forehead against her shoulder, hiding himself in her long hair.