forty two

"what do i do?" you ask serena frantically.

"just go!" she snaps at you, pushing you forward slightly and forcing you to stumble forward.

"god." you mumble, too far forward to stop or walk back. you keep walking and look up towards the pair of gingers- and they're still grinning right at you.

"snape's kid." you hear one of them tease.

"are you fred or george?" you ask him, your eyes flickering between the two glib faces.

"fred. the better one." he answers, extending a hand which you take.

"and you're george, then?" you ask the other and he nods.

"the best one." he counters, hitting his twin brother.

you cannot contain your smile.

the weasley's no doubt have been your favourites throughout the time that you read the books. before you knew this world was true. or that it could be.

fred and george weasley, a pair of twin boys born to molly and arthur weasley after their three older brothers were undoubtedly two of your most favourite people in the whole world.

their ability to bring light to the most uncomfortable of situations through bantering and teasing- to bring joy to the faces of people they loved and cherished in an attempt to wash the pain and misery of the future years away- inspired you to do the same in your day to day life.

though your mother had never been kind to you and mike loved you as much as someone would love a nasty rash- you never let it get you down.

fred and george taught you to laugh. even if others might think it inappropriate.

you had them to thank for the faint lines around the corners of your lips and just underneath your eyes.

you had them to thank for your smile.

"it's great to meet you both." you say, having to look up at both of them. "i've heard so much already."

"have you?" george says, feigning surprise. "i wonder why."

"comes as much a shock to me than it does to you, georgie." fred nods, pulling a serious face. "i hope the accusations weren't too bad, miss snape."

"they were interesting to say the least. you two have a remarkable reputation. even my father thinks so."

george bends down so that your faces are level. "and what exactly does professor snape think of us?"

you look him dead in the eye. "he thinks you're a pair of red half wits."

fred and george erupt into laughter that fills the entire dining hall. people look back at them, not at all surprised but intrigued to see you giggling with them.

no way, they all think. that's snape's daughter.

"not bad, snape. not bad at all." fred laughs, a hand on his stomach. "we hope we can have you as an ally, darling."

"-a snape on our side is the kind of dark brilliance we need." george adds.

"for our pranking career- of course." fred finishes.

you don't even question it. you'd love to help and so you nod, a mischievous grin plasters on your pinking face.

"i'm down for anything." you reassure them. "let me know when such brilliance is required."

"alright, little snake." george rubs a hand on your upper back, giving you a side hug. "that's exactly what we wanted to hear."

"now you run along." fred tips an imaginary top hat at you. "don't keep the slyther-skins waiting."

"of course, see you." you laugh, giving a little wave as you walk away.

the pair wave back before you turn away and almost leg it back to serena.

she's sat on cross legs, on top of the table, where most people have already left. "let's get back to the common room like we were going to and then- you're gonna spill."

"sounds like a plan." you say, grabbing your bag and slinging it over your shoulder before making your way to the slytherin common room.

you barely get in before malfoy pounces on you making you drop your shit to the ground.

"what-"

"what did they want? the weasley's?" draco breaths. "what did they say?"

"i-" you glance around and then scrunch up your face. "you weren't even there! how do you know they wanted to speak to me?"

"i have eyes everywhere." draco says, slowly for dramatic effect (of course). "listen-"

you glare at crabbe and goyle who are pink faced like they've been running u and down the castle.

"are those your eyes, malfoy? they look a bit pink-"

he kisses his teeth, and grabs your arm. "what did they say?"

"nothing important, draco. i don't know why you're worrying your socks off." you snap. "they just wanted to see snape's freak daughter- that's all."

draco takes his arm back, giving you a long stare. "right. besides, they don't like mingling with us- do they?"

"y/n snape." you hear. gemma speaks to you from a place on the arm chair. she's not in her uniform but even in her pajamas she looks ready to take charge of the world.

"if i hear you've been caught up in a mess with the weasley twins. if i hear you've lost us points-"

"you won't." you insist. "i'm not going to get in any trouble."

another shit ton of lies.

"oh, i know." gemma sits forward, leaning her elbows on her spread knees and looking at you with glinting eyes. "because the punishments- if i find out you have- will be severe."

you don't reply to that. gemma seemed all smiles just earlier today. you realize just how much dignity meant to this house, just by the way gemma looks at you.

the prefect is an upholder of the rules. and she takes none of your bullshit.

"i don't want you seen speaking with them again." she gets up, and leaves.

"she didn't mean that? surely, y/n can speak to whom ever she likes? surely, we have that right?" serena asks, to no one in particular- hoping someone would answer.

and those of the students who knew most about the rules and etiquette of being a true slytherin- francis avery, the second year shakes his head.

"she meant every word." he drones. then, he looks meaningfully at you. "you're a snape, and despite your blood impurities you have the largest name here."

you open your mouth to speak but he cuts you off.

"be careful."

he warns and the first years are called to bed.