11 - Breakfast

Ryujin discreetly peeked from the door entrance, couldn't believe Yeji is really there.

From her view in the hallway, Ryujin can see Yeji's back. She pulled away her sleeve to look at her wristwatch. It's only 7:07 am. She wonders what time Yeji arrived.

She peeked through the door again, observing Yeji who is browsing something on the internet. She's wearing a black blouse and her hair isn't tied today.

Ryujin sighed. She thinks she could do that all day without complaint, just looking at Yeji's back and observing her like that.

Yeji moved to her left to check on something. Ryujin immediately hid beside the door, afraid that she'll get caught peeking.

Ryujin checked the time. It's already 7:11 am. She'll be dead if Yeji won't see her by 7:15 am.

She entered the door slowly, tiptoeing. Although she knows that her sneakers won't make any annoying sound on the carpeted floor, she's still afraid to create anything that could catch Yeji's attention. The idea of being alone with Yeji today somehow frightens her. She'd love to spend time with Yeji but she doesn't know how to start a conversation.

"And what do you think you're doing?" Yeji's irritated tone echoed.

Ryujin turned nervously. "Uh... hi..."

"Did it not occur to you that I can hear every movement you make? It's just the two of us here."

"Uh... yeah... well..."

"It's almost 7:15 now, how long are you planning to make me wait?"

"Uh... I'm just dropping my things in my station..."

"Make it quick."

"Yes, ma'am!" Ryujin hurried to her department.

---

The pantry looks more vibrant today because no one is there yet to disturb their little date. They settled on one table and sat facing each other.

"Hmm, what did you bring today?" asked Ryujin, curiously looking at the lunchbox in front of her.

"My mom prepared jajangmyeon and omelet." Yeji opened the covers.

"Woooow! I'm so famished now!" Ryujin clapped.

"I'm hungry too. I hope you'll like it."

Ryujin picked up one omelet with her fork. She raised her eyebrows after a bite. "Mmm, this is good! Your mom sure knows how to cook."

"Now, that's what you call a real breakfast."

"How about you, do you cook?" asked Ryujin as she resumes eating.

Yeji picked something for herself too. "A bit, but I find it tiring sometimes. Was never a fan of recipe books."

"Why?"

"I don't know. I just don't enjoy cooking. It's too boring for me."

"You don't have plans of cooking for future hubby?"

"Well, I might change my mind. I don't know yet. But right now, I really don't want to," said Yeji, taking another bite of the food. "I always imagined myself being paired with someone who loves to cook."

Ryujin abruptly stopped whatever she's doing and stared at Yeji.

"What?" asked Yeji.

"I just... I just love the food." Ryujin resumes eating. "So, it's the end of the year this weekend. What are your plans?"

"Our usual routine is to visit dad's grave in the morning and then stay at my cousin's place for the New Year's Eve celebration."

"Oh, really? I didn't know that your dad..." Ryujin trailed off.