14 - Couple

"Yup, I'm already here in the office," Ryujin confirmed after putting her headsets on. She pushed the car door closed and enabled the alarm.

"Somebody's too early for the office today, huh? It's only 7:17 on my watch," said Chaeryeong on the other line.

"I know, but my body was up early. I don't even know why."

"Psshh... You're just excited to see Yeji."

"I guess I am." Ryujin giggled. She feels lucky to find someone with whom she can confide everything about Yeji. It's easier for her to tell Chaeryeong about it since they don't have common friends.

"Do you think she'll like your new hairstyle?" asked Chaeryeong.

"I don't know." Ryujin fixed her cap. "I'm just afraid that she won't talk to me if I won't do what she says."

"You know she's not serious about that. And you've cut it shoulder-length, like how she wants it. Besides, it's a good way to start the year, right? I can't wait to see you, Ryujin. I wonder how you look now."

"Don't worry. I'll visit you one of these days." Ryujin stepped into the elevator and pressed 17 on the floor panel.

"I hope you'll bring along a friend of yours when you do that."

"I can't promise you that but I'll try." Ryujin gazed up at the floor signal.

B2... B1... 1...

The elevator stopped on the first floor. Ryujin moved aside to give space to anyone who's about to enter.

The door swung open. Ryujin felt her heartbeat rose when she sees Yeji behind the door.

And for the first time in days, Ryujin felt alive again.

Yeji is wearing a white blouse with a black ribbon lace, partnered with a black skirt. Ryujin was so mesmerized she had to shift her eyes away because she's feeling conscious. Yeji, on the other hand, looked shocked to see Ryujin in the elevator.

Yeji was about to greet her but Ryujin turned away when she heard Chaeryeong's voice on the other line.

"Ryujin? Are you still there?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry. The line was jammed," she said, still feeling Yeji's eyes on her.

"Can you give me Yeji's full name? I'll try to search for her on social media. I'm really curious about her looks."

"Ummm, Chaeryeong. I can't do that."

"Huh? Why? I'm just asking for a name."

"Exactly, I can't give it now."

"And why is that?"

Ryujin took a deep breath and looked around the elevator, trying to avoid eye contact with her fellow passenger. "Here."

"Huh?"

"I said, HERE."

"Who's there?"

"My friend."

"Your friend? Who?" Then Chaeryeong finally got it. "Yeji is in the elevator with you?"

"Exactly, Chaeryeong. Bravo." Ryujin looked around to check Yeji's reflection on the mirrored wall, thinking if the latter can hear the conversation even if she's on headset.

"Oh, really? Are you two alone there?"

"Yup."

"Then why don't you grab her and kiss her?"

"Agh! You're crazy, Chaeryeong!"

"I'm just kidding. You're overreacting. Haha! Why do I have the feeling that you're already blushing?"