(xx) Come Back To Earth

xx

xx.
Come Back To Earth

$$$

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Everything felt like a fever dream.

          Another hit on her head. She felt like her body was being flung out of a window. Her lashes barely fluttered open, nails gripping to whatever she was laying on. She had a seatbelt over her chest, another wrapped over her waist. Blair Cameron was in a car; her father's truck, to be precise. She could feel it.

          There was yelling in the front seat, but she could barely make out any words. "Okay?" It was her brother's voice, yelling violently. Then her sister answered with a similar tone but it was dripping in fear and Blair couldn't help but groan.

          She didn't remember much but a gunshot and staring into those salt-eyes of her brother. He was holding the gun and there was a woman on the ground crying out, Sheriff Susan Peterkin, and then Blair tasted blood in the back of her mouth and her legs gave out, exposing her drowsiness to everyone around. She wasn't responsive to tell, but she imagined Sarah running for her while John B scrambled for the injured woman, to try and stop her bleeding. Save her life.

The thing was, if it was any other situation, she'd be sure that her father was the first one on his knees, making sure she was okay. But he was the perpetrator in the situation. Did her brother think it was his fault? Maybe it was. Maybe he deserved to have his sister pass out undoubtably from fear right after the shooting of an innocent women on his conscience.

          When she sat up, Blair couldn't keep a painful groan from leaving her lips. It ultimately attracted all eyes on her and she had forgotten just how much divine attention was heavy. Suddenly, she understood why Sarah always told her that being the center of everything was nothing like the teenage American dream. She brought a couple fingers up to her hairline only to find the smooth surface of a huge bandaid where the skin had previously been dramatically scabbed, where she knocked her head against the dashboard. Where her father nearly killed John B Routledge.

The boy in the driver's seat whipped around and laughed. There were tears running down his cheeks and Sarah's face was covered in her hair, both breathing just as heavily as the other. "You're awake!" he cheered. "I─you're okay, all right? You're fine. We'll get you patched up at home."

          Horrified, Blair shook her head and quickly unclasped the seatbelt that suddenly felt like a noose around her neck. She propped herself up and looked back; all she could see were trees. "No . . . no, what happened?" she mumbled.

          "Rafe shot Peterkin!" Sarah yelled. He slammed his hands on the dashboard and she yelped, closing her eyes briefly. She inhaled deeply, then tried her best to level her voice. "Dad said he was going to call the medics. He didn't let me stay," she said. "You passed out. Are you okay?"