Evening Horizons

Winter used to be her favourite season. These days it's summer that has her heart. The trees swaying to warm breeze, the sky blazing blue and the sun a scintillating yellow, bright hues of flowers to be seen everywhere, the rainbows that comes with the odd shower, Nayeon feels that summer is a celebration of sorts.

Mina stands, head tilted to the side infront of a mirror, gold earrings dangling in her delicate fingers as she slips them on, the soft lines of her side profile looking ethereal as the setting sun bathes her with its golden rays.

"Mina." Nayeon says, voice velvetty and soft, afraid to disturb the serenity in the air.

Mina tips up her chin to meet her eyes in the mirror, cheeks burning with a soft rosiness. Nayeon's world staggers slightly, still haven't come to terms with the truth that she is the object of her affection, that she is the recepient of these looks laced with an aching tenderness.

"Summer is my favourite season." The Korean says, breathless.

It's a random declaration, one that doesn't make sense to anyone listening. Which is why when Dahyun drawls, "How deeply insightful. Thanks for letting us know." Nayeon's face turns a fierce shade of red for blurting that out in front of the members.

One of the things they've agreed on in order to get their friendship back on track is to share things which, on the surface, might seem insignificant to others, but special to them knowing that they've tucked away certain things in a compartment in their head to which only they both have exclusive access. It brings them closer in a way that nothing else does.

"It's mine too."  

Nayeon takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. There's something about the way the younger girl looks at her that makes her world tilt slightly on its axis, makes her heart pound that bit faster in its chest. "This is why you're my favourite Mina."

Nayeon ignores members' fake coughing and saying things like 'traitor' 'whipped' 'kiss kiss kiss' as her heart does cartwheels watching a beautiful shade of pink rising to Mina's face. "You're my favourite too Nayeon-chan."

The kiss chant intensifies behind them.

Mina's eyes meet hers in the mirror again, head ducking bashfully when Nayeon keeps her gaze on her for too long. 

The sun burns brightly, as if giving its all before going out.

But Nayeon thinks it still pales in comparison to the girl before her.

Because Mina burns brighter than the sun and Nayeon can't help but be drawn by her.

( She also understands why summer is her new favourite season. )

It's not like they're strangers, she has spent nearly eight years with the Japanese girl. But this is the first time her heart skyrockets into an erratic thumping whenever Mina so much as looks in her direction. She's not used to feeling so light headed around her, like the world is constantly slipping under her and she can't find her footing.

Sana taps at her chin, letting out a soft giggle as she links their arms, dragging her towards the kitchen. "This slackjawed look is endearing Nayeon-chan, but let me remind you that Kash is at this movie marathon and she is not going to be too happy if she catches you like this."

"I wasn't staring at anyone." She rushes, out of breath. Her throat feels parched, like she's ran a mile. 

"You're cute when you lie." Sana laughs, cupping and pinching her cheeks in a patronising manner. "Want a beer?"

She nods, embarrassment wildly fluttering in her chest.

By the time they return to join the others, the night has blanketed over the dorm, and the lack of light in the living room makes it difficult to find a seat without her glasses. Tripping over a pair of feet, ( a high pitched scream and a threat to murder her tells her it's Jeongyeon she's stepped on ) and muttering a haste apology, she sits on the first empty seat she finds.

The rich flowery scent and the heat that naturally raises to her body when she gets a whiff of it tells her just who she's chosen to sit next to.

Mina looks just as surprised as her when their gaze meet in the dark room.

Her stomach flips.

"Hi." The younger girl's eyes gleam in the flickering television lights, her whole face smiles and Nayeon feels like someone knocked the wind out of her chest. That lightheaded feeling strikes her again, every ounce of her being tingling with the desire to touch Mina, if only to find an anchor in her to steady her recklessly spinning world. 

Gulping down the temptation to smooth the frown between the younger girl's puckered brows when the silence prolongs, Nayeon asks the first thing that comes to her mind, "Kash left?"

"Got bored." She shrugs.

"Good." She blurts, and has the decency to blush when Mina quirks up a brow questioningly. "I mean good you didn't leave with her. We haven't had movie nights together after moving to different dorms." Taking a swig of her beer, she thanks her intelligence for coming up with a quick lie.

"I missed them too." Mina smiles and Nayeon is struck by how her smile makes her entire face light up.  She forgets to look away, can't bring herself to look away as Mina's cheeks start to flush pink.

The moment extends, deepens.

"I'm going to gag." Jeongyeon kicks her shin, and Nayeon is only slightly annoyed at her but mostly thankful for the well timed kick. It's scarily easy to get sucked into Mina's orbit, to lose herself in eyes the colour of molten chocolate. "Stop eye fucking each other and watch the film."

Fucking. That's the word her brain decides to short circuit at. She shakes her head as if to clear it of thoughts that are sneaking in and fogging her mind. Mina, is her friend. Mina, her friend who has a girlfriend. She can't want to touch her, no, not without dire consequences. She needs to hang back a little, process a bit to reel in this overwhelming urge to get closer to the younger girl. But the way Mina is biting down on her bottm lip with a shy smile, the frantic pounding in her own heart, makes it difficult to access the reliable rational part of her self.