One

Eachtrannach. That's what the Irish called them. Aliens who decided to descend upon the earth in a bloody rage. They killed the hostile males on site. The females were always treasured and delicately handled but if you payed close enough attention, you'll realize they are picky. They only choose a certain type of woman.

They have to consider you worthy. What they consider worthy is a mystery to Ana. It all started when she had snuck out of her house her sophomore year of high school. Ana and some friends had just gotten their license's and were determined to break all the rules they could.

They had ended up in the woods where the football team was hosting one of their Friday night parties. Booze, pot, and skimpy outfits as far as the eye could see. They had gotten real fucked up that night. Ana was stumbling some where off into the woods when She saw them. The Eachtrannach. Everyone had come to call them that soon after the invasion. Big beasts compared to earth males.

Different shades of dark grey skin, black eyes with red pupils and large muscular bodies. Their height made her 5'8 frame shiver. Seven to eight foot tall giants with devils horns. Some pointing straight into the sky, others curling around their heads like a rams.

They were extremely massive and frightening; giving off a lethal and primal aura. Ana had slapped a hand over her mouth to keep from shrieking at the dangerous creatures.

Her eyes finally glance down to what they've been holding in their hands. Myra? She had thought as the time that it was some sick prank, her drunk mind not seeing through the thick haze of drunkenness that surrounded her. But she was sobering up real quick.

Myra was a quiet girl in her class. She was sweet and got along with everybody. She had dated some basketball player who graduated last year but she was known for her intelligence.

The grey aliens seemed to be arguing with each other. Myra hung loosely in ones arms; her face a deathly shade of white. She wasn't moving and it didn't seem like her chest was moving either.

One alien furiously spoke to the other in a weird language that sounded like backwards English. Their voices deeper than anything Ana had ever heard. Their growls of what she assumes to be annoyance, was chilling. The one holding Myra finally nods and placed her on the ground.

Without hesitation one of the aliens pull out a silver trinket that looks like a lighter. A red laser beam shoots out of the end of the trinket and Myras body's bursts into flames instantly,

Ana dropped the red solo cup she was holding in one hand and ran through the forest screaming. That night... changed everything. Aliens were real and earth didn't know how to cope with that.

It was painfully obvious the government had tried to hide things from the people but as more aliens landed on the planet the bigger the civil unrest became. The final straw was on a Monday in October. Five aliens had barged into a high school and took all the women. It didn't matter how old or young they took them all.

The people rioted. All over the country. The government was in shambles by the end of the day. By the end of the week the aliens had came in full force.

Everyone, regardless of age and gender, were all too aware that there was no defeating them. Numbers started dwindling and people started hiding. It was so obvious what they wanted.

They only took women. Those they didn't want they killed or left alone; No one could discern what their type was. What kind of women were they taking; They killed men on site. If they stayed away they would remain unharmed. The aliens had already proved to the population they were not scared of anything humans could put up against them.

The human race became all too aware of their place on the food chain; It was currently at the bottom. Which leads Ana back to the present... That was two years ago. She had just had her 18th birthday and she was spending it holed up with her mom and step dad in an old army bunker.

She knew something was wrong. Their hushed whispers outside her door at night proved this. They were planning something, and they had no intention of telling her.

They had managed to stat away from public places. As far into the woods as they could; No aliens would look for them in the mountains. They would be drawn to the cities. That's what her step dad had said to reassure her. His reassurance always fell on deaf ears.

Ana's a realist. Always has been. Her friends used to hate that about her, Said She was such a downer for her honest words. Most stayed away from her; her mother always said it's because most people want to be lifted up and have their egos stroked whereas Ana is blunt and honest to the bone. Which goes hand in hand with her realism.

She doesn't have time for any bullshit. This was war and and her survival at stake. She'd be damned if she lost her family or was to be taken. It's why they stayed alone. It's easier to stay under the Eachtrannach's radar when you travel in smaller groups.

They were sitting on the floor eating some stale crackers and beef jerky.

"Momma.." She mumbles nibbling on her cracker.

"Hm?" The kind woman smiles. Her features looked nothing like Ana's.

She was so beautiful in a regal way. Deirdre is her lovely Irish name. Black hair that stopped at her shoulders. Piercing green eyes and dusted freckles over her heart shaped face. Ana's head has an oval shape to it. Her wavy red locks and deep blue eyes and startling contrast to hers. Ana's cheeks has little dimples in them which makes her smile stand out. The only similarity they share are their freckles.

Ana's mom is Irish and her step dad a deep rooted country man from the mountains of Tennessee. Her real dad had passed away when she was 12 from liver failure due to his alcoholism.

Her stepdad, Roger, had raised her as his own ever since.

"What's going on?" She asks outright as her unwavering gaze locks onto her mother.

This was their super power. They unnerved people with it. Her mother says they could stare straight into others souls if they wished it. Their gaze has always been intimidating to others; Her step dad still hasn't been able to win against Ana's mother's stare, but she thinks it has little to do with her stare and more to do with how infatuated he is with her. Deidre used to have a silly little nickname for it but Ana can't remember.

She smiles and locks her gaze onto Ana in a challenge. Let's see who shall win hmm...

Five

Ten

Fifteen

Twenty

"Fine. Just because I'm old and my eyes are adjusting to the light." Deidre caves and Ana smirks with victory.

Deidre sighs running a tired hand through her dark locks.

"We're being watched Ana. They are getting closer and we can't protect you any more. We're feeling older, tired... sloppy. One day soon they'll find us and I refused to let them take you too."

"Then we will move as we have been. Pick a new place in the mountains and we'll do it." Ana says determined.

Deidre smiled softly, "not this time honey."

Ana's heart drops.

✅ EDITED