Epilogue

Author's Note: Thank you for reaching this far. Rigor and Czarina's story has finally come to an end. I am happy to share this journey with you.

Thank you, langga.

-

"Rigor! You're home!" Tita Sidra squealed as soon as she spotted me. I smiled widely at her. The woman immediately engulfed me into a hug, and I bury myself at the comfort of her familiar scent.

She smells like home.

"How long are you staying here?"

"Pagkatapos po manganak ni Kenna,"

"Here to see your niece and nephew, huh?" she wiggled her brows playfully and led me to the car. I dragged my suitcase behind me and followed her.

Thyron pleaded me to come home, just this once. I've been in Baltimore for almost two years now and not once had I dozed myself into a goodnight's sleep ever since I left her.

The thought that she is here, back in the country, is hunting me. My heart lurches forward in my chest. What if I run across her? What if I see her again? How is she? Is she doing well? Is she eating properly?

Two years seemed like a small hitch of time for many people, but it is an eternity to a grieving heart. Sometimes, I still hear her calling me in her softest voice, and I would wake up weeping.

I started taking the sleeping pills again, but this time, it didn't work.

"Tangina, kinakabahan ako," Thyron paced back and forth in the corridors of the hospital. I leaned against the door and watched him with a weary look. This idiot woke me up in the middle of the night when Kenna went to labor. He seemed very worried. And now that she's actually giving birth to his children inside, he won't even step in.

"Just go inside, Thyron." I said sharply. "Kenna needs you."

His face contorted in sadness beyond recognition. Tumigil na siya sa pabalik-balik niya at bumuntong-hininga.

"Ayaw niya akong makita."

Kumunot ang noo ko.

"Are you still fighting?"

Thyron licked his lower lip nervously. There is something he's not telling me. I know the two of them got into a fight but I never realized that it was this serious.

"She's leaving right after giving birth to the twins," his own voice is a choking sound, a declaration of his misery. "She doesn't even care about their names." Each cold word that rolled from his mouth is making his eyes swell with tears.

I remained quiet, trying to understand, sympathize. I stop my lips from thinning in disapproval.

We remained silent after that. One of the nurses opened the door after half an hour and gestured for us to come inside. I could hear the babies' cry. Thyron quickly stepped inside and burst into silent tears when he saw his son and daughter for the first time. Kenna is silent with exhaustion, her eyes shut and her lips tight. Ni hindi man lang niya binalingan ang mag-aama.

While everyone is gushing about the cute twins, she laid there, covered with sweat and blood. Thyron couldn't even look at her. I silently dragged the hem of the blanket to cover her. Kenna flinched, as if she's ready for a strike. She gave me an exhausted smile and slowly closed her eyes.

"Gusto niyo po bang hawakan si baby boy?" nakangiting tanong sa akin ng isang nurse. Thyron is already holding the girl, so I nodded and took him.

He felt so soft and delicate under my skin. His movements are tiny and careless with his eyes still shut.