Chapter 15 : Ample

Beomgyu didn’t know what he was going to do.

     All he knew was that he had to be there. No means of comfort nor promising words seemed to conceive in his mind. Nothing but the haste movements to get there and be there with him.

     Because Taehyun needed someone right now.

     Who would he have if he didn’t have Beomgyu?

     His mother was out of the picture. There was no room in her for any type of comfort. Beomgyu questioned if she even knew Sooyun at any point. He wasn’t certain if the younger boy had other family members to reach out to, though he never mentioned it. He was close to Hueningkai, but Beomgyu didn’t know to what extent.

     Nonetheless, Taehyun had called him.

      He had to be Taehyun’s constant now more than ever.

     His stomach plummeted when the dreadful words croaked through his phone, hardly believable. Lee Sooyun was a remarkable person to him through Taehyun’s words—through his own eyes. When he met her, the emotional dependency his lover had on her was evident from the beginning.

     Could he call him that? His Lover?

     Beomgyu hadn’t hung up the phone.

     He needed to know Taehyun was still there; coping or at least holding himself up long enough until Beomgyu would come and bear the baggage. He needed to hear his uneven breathing through his phone to make sure he wasn’t doing anything irrational, to make sure he was safe. He needed him to know he was there.

     Beomgyu didn’t know what to tell him. He’d never comforted someone after they heard of a parental figure passing. He’d never gone through it himself, though he had a few impressions of what he’d want to hear. He didn’t know if it was enough.

     Whatever he had to offer wouldn't be enough. He just hoped his presence would make up for some of the damage, at least momentarily.

     “Taehyun?” Beomgyu firmly called. He didn’t have anything to say, he just needed to hear his voice again.

     The younger boy only hummed, almost imperceptible if he wasn’t straining to pick up any feeble sounds. He wasn’t crying anymore, though Beomgyu wasn’t sure. He couldn’t see him. All he could do was listen to him through the phone as he tapped his foot against the cab flooring.

      He would’ve run, just like that day. Just like the day he was so driven and blinded by the determination that he gathered nothing could stop him. When he thought he was unconquerable, dashing through the streets at illuminated late hours.

     Except, this time, it was pouring. The sky seemed to pick up on the gloomy state and yearned to match the mood. Beomgyu almost scoffed at the absurdity and timing. He wouldn't make it halfway.

     “You’re not going to be alone, love,” he vocalised carefully, hoping his words were earnest enough to reach him. Constant reassurance is what he’d want in a situation like this, but now he didn’t know what Taehyun wanted. “I’m almost there— I’m here with you now.”

     Taehyun didn’t answer him. He didn’t show any signs that he’d even heard him. Beomgyu was riding off of the unsteady breaths directly in his ear. That was the only thing grounding him right now.

     He continued to whisper nothings into the phone, unsure of what was working and what was going unheard.

     Just as the car turned to the familiar street, those rigid breaths morphed with the harsh pitter-patter of the rain. Beomgyu couldn’t hear him through the noises, unsure if he was even there anymore. His heart spiked at the thought, seconds away from cursing the driver for not going faster.