27. Bruno & Sofia

After lunch, they had a few more classes and they were talking a lot during the breaks.

"So you're saying this school is slightly different than other Italian schools?"

He nodded. "Usually we don't have lunch, we eat at home. But this is a private school. Some people travel from all over the country to study here so it has a campus for students who don't come back home after classes"

Sofia nodded understanding more this place with every hour. It was now Bruno's turn to ask a question.

"So... how is life as Valentino's sister? Must be life-changing to find out you're one of the Ianniellos"

After that statement, Sofia started wondering what makes her family so special in Bruno's eyes but she decided to let it go for now.

"I don't know.. I still can't wrap my head around him pointing the gun at me. I'm trying to understand why but honestly my mind gets only some crazy ideas"

"Like what?"

"You're going to make fun of me"

"I won't. I promise"

"He's in a gang or something? Maybe a potential school shooter. I don't know! I just don't"

Bruno snorted and Sofia covered her face in embarrassment.

"Sorry. Sofia, you have every right to be suspicious and honestly, nothing about these ideas is funny. My reasoning would be similar if I were you" Bruno said in a calming manner, he was speaking a little too quickly perhaps he was worried he offended her.

"Alright. You seem to know things about my family, tell me what's your theory?"

"I can't tell you"

That response surprised her.

"Why?"

"It's just... Please Sofia. Your brothers are terrifying and I don't want to make them angry at me. You will figure it out soon enough so there's no reason for me to tell you. Either way, don't worry they won't hurt you. Okay?" 

"Fine. Tell me something else then. How come you don't have more friends? Sorry, if that was rude" Sofia blushed embarrassed at the way she phrased her question. But Bruno was a mystery to her. He was handsome and friendly and yet for some reason he was sitting alone at the cafeteria, alone in classes. Well, that was before she came in.

Bruno didn't look offended. The opposite
"No, it's okay. It's because in this school social rules"

"What do you mean?"

"This school was made for kids from dirty rich families. So you need to find a person with an important surname and follow them like a dog to survive here. But I'm not interested in these sort of things"

"It feels like I'm transferred into a different world full of unspoken rules"

"That's correct" he smiled in response.

This is when the time of the last lesson came. She didn't change her clothes, she said to her teacher that she forgot her PE uniform.

After that, the two new friends have met again in front of the school. Sofia was about to enter Bruno's car when the strong hand pulled her out.

"Where do you think you're going?" Valentino asked angrily

"Bruno's grandma invited me for a dinner?" Sofia explained, looking a little scared at Valentino's angry reaction.

"Have you asked Alessandro if you can go?" Valentino asked.

"Um- no?"

"Get in the car we're coming back home," Valentino said and pulled her in opposite direction.

Sofia mouthed soundless goodbye to Bruno and waved at him as she was dragged to Valentino's car.

"Why would you go with him without telling me?" Valentino asked when they were finally sitting in his vehicle. 

"I forgot that I need to let you know if I'm leaving, sorry"

"You forgot?" He asked incredulously "How can you forget something so simple?"

"I said I'm sorry?"

"Sorry doesn't cut it. You can't just get into some strange guy's car and disappear"

"He's from our school"

"That's not the point," he said frustrated "The point is that it's dangerous. And that lover boy of yours he better not get too close if he wants to lose all his teeth"

"He's not my lover boy"

"Sure"

"Really"

Sofia wasn't sure if Valentino believed her.