FOUR - LIKE THE VAMPIRE SLAYER

The stars were bright over the ocean

Without the lights from the summer carnival, the view from my bedroom window was a different kind of beautiful. My storefront and my bedroom window both faced the boardwalk, and I knew that soon a large Ferris wheel would be assembled and would block my view of the ocean, but for now, I stood and enjoyed it.

Finn moved behind me quietly, his fingers gentle as they ran over my arms, wrapping around my waist. He nuzzled his face into my neck, breathing my scent in as he did so. I tried to stay relaxed at the feeling of his arm around me, but I didn't do well with affection anymore.

"What are your reasons today, Arabella?"

He only ever used my full name when he asked that question or when he was angry with me. Finn was never angry with me, so I only ever heard him say my full name once a day. It sent shivers through me, which turned into goosebumps on my skin as he kissed my bare neck.

That was the type of intimacy I was okay with-him using my full name in the moonlight. I was still working my way back to enjoying intimate cuddles after sex.

What are my reasons today? I began to think.

Finn had asked me that question every night since the incident. He always wanted an answer, but sometimes I simply didn't have one. Some days, all I could do was survive. Some days, all I could do was lay in bed and breathe.

Today, I had a few reasons. Not a very long list, but Finn taught me that it was okay. I didn't always need a long list. Sometimes even one thing was okay, as long as it was a reason.

"The summer carnival arriving and the smells of cinnamon and burnt sugar that it will bring with it. Pink skies. The sound of the ocean right now. Finally opening my dream shop. Margarita dates with Dani. And always you." I whispered to him, listing my reasons for today.

"Beautiful." He murmured, moving his lips over to my jawline, his hand coming up to grasp my chin and pull my head back so he could kiss my mouth.

I leaned back against his body, letting his mouth take over mine for a moment before the flashbacks started. I had to turn to face him and grab onto his shirt, letting my mouth do all of the dominating, and the memories began to fade.

"I have to talk to you about Dani." I whispered when I pulled back from the kiss, looking up at his features in the moonlight that was shining through my window.

It was well past midnight, and usually Finn would be at the bar still working. The sweet lover closed his bar down tonight so he and my sister, who worked for him, could bartend at my launch party. He truly was the most supportive man I knew, in every single way.

His features tensed at my words, which made me think that he already knew what I was about to say. He pulled out of my arms and moved to my bed, which was still messy from where I just took my frustrations toward Harry out on him, and he gingerly took a seat, looking over at me like a sad puppy.